Colour coding, but where?

• MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but I have a little question. If you guys use colour coding, do you do it in the tracker or on the client itself?
      I can use colour coding on pokerstars. When joining a new table, I can immediately see players i've coded before. Pokertracker will only show the HUD after I've played a hand on that table.
      Using colour coding on pokertracker on the other side, will allow me to see if I've colour coded players as a fish when reviewing hands, which can explain my actions.
      Coding twice seems a lot of work...
  • 15 replies
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey MarliesB, i'll just move it to GPD because i think it fits best in there.

when i colour code (on pokerstars) i mainly just use the client itself because i like to see the fish as you mentioned. i've gotten used to doing that, but whenever i have some time between hands i do go around marking people twice on HM2/PT4 if they are already marked on stars. the thing is, imo stars' colour coding system is the best out there so they make it quite visible. on other sites i just mark them in my HUD. but coding twice has started to just be something i do without thinking about it like a habit - see the colour tag on stars, match it on the HUD.

it is definitely annoying to be doing a session review and then not knowing where the fish are :D
    • Podmunkey
      Podmunkey
      Bronze
      At the moment, I'm using blue for fish and a green to red scale depending how passive/aggressive they are. (stars client colour coding)

But unfortunately you cannot put everyone in a category on a single line, because there are the loose and tight factors involved, along with many others.

I'm interested in hearing what colour coding methods people use, we have all the colours to choose from there must be a perfect way of coding everyone.
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Generally just from looking at the hud unless it is rather lacking, you can tell if somebody is a fish anyway.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      I usually look at the amount of tables they play: 2 for weaker players (yellow), 4 tables for people that most likely know what they are doing (orange) and red for the hardcore grinders. When I see people limping I make them green and I label fishes as white.
      I code in pokerstars client only since it's easier to see on the table and I can see all colour coded people in options -> edit player notes
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Easiest way to do it is to follow the traffic lights.
      Green = go for it (fish)
      Amber/Orange = Cautious but could be +EV (normal reg)
      Red = Heh, good luck (mostly use on nits/solid regs).

I use other things too, but only so often. Purple for aggro-donk, blue for spew-reg, etc.

I use the Pstar's client for my colour coding. Just makes it easier upon searching for the correct table.
    • Jmm256
      Jmm256
      Basic
      I don't think colour coding is overly important. I mainly use it to mark someone into the categories of maniac, loose passive, breakeven and solid reg with the pokerstars client. I then use the colours to decide whether I think the table is good enough to join.
      When reviewing hands in HM the hud normally pops as i replay the hand anyway, and that's more valuable than the colours.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      I use;
      Red-decent/aggro reg
      Orange-reg I'm unsure about or has some weak spots
      Green-bad reg
      Blue-fish
      Yellow-nit
      Purple-spewtard
    • Podmunkey
      Podmunkey
      Bronze
      It's good to see many people using colour codes, I like making it a bit of a meta game, to keep me focused on the game and to stop me playing too many tables I will focus on individual players to see what colour they fit into.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      Danny, if people play like 7 tables, can they still be a bad reg or worse?
    • SheepMoose
      SheepMoose
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MarliesB
      The amount of tables somebody play has no correlation to their skill level. The other day I played against a fish who was 48/5, who was playing 3 - 4 tables.
    • thazar
      thazar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SheepMoose
      The amount of tables somebody play has no correlation to their skill level. The other day I played against a fish who was 48/5, who was playing 3 - 4 tables.
      More often than not the number of tables a player is playing correlates with his skill level in terms of a grinder will have more understanding of the strategy in poker, hand ranges, position etc... however a large number of tables also mean for a lot of people that they play in autopilot for the vast majority of hands and can be exploited easily as well. It is off course a generality and not always applicable but I would say probably 75-80% accurate from my experience.

It is always better to develop player specific reads as you play but you can (probably even should) make broad assumptions based on the number of tables / country of player / stack size / reload or not etc without any hands or showdown.
    • MarliesB
      MarliesB
      Bronze
      I find it hard to see player-specific reads for a lot of players, or to label them like "bad reg"
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      A lot of the people i see playing 7+ tables are playing like 17/14 or something & i usually just have them marked orange.
      Sometimes they're even playing 12/9 & i mark them yellow.

@OP, what i mean by a player i mark as bad reg is someone who might have reggish stats over a decent sample, but but with some seriously exploitable leaks. Like maybe they fold to 3bets 80%+ or 4b/fold a ridic amount.
    • variancekiller
      variancekiller
      Bronze
      I use a combination of stars color coding and HEM 2 notes. In stars I only note reg, fish and confirmed fish (yellow, blue, darkblue) Than in HEM is expand to specifics like, wide 3-better, light caller, TAG, LAG etc.
    • TimoDee
      TimoDee
      Bronze
      I'm actually struggling to think how to colour code, so this thread is a lifesaver :) But I'm a SnG player so would they apply to those as well?

I need a solid colour-coding system, for SnGs so if someone could share that with me, that would be perfect ! :)