Zoom tournaments

• TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Hey everyone,

Yesterday I managed to get a 2nd place in a Zoom tournament on Stars (obv very happy :f_love: ). During the last stages I got railed by another PS.com member, and an interesting question arose: what adjustments do you have to make in Zoom tournaments?

First things first, I think Zoom tournaments are incredibly high value for people who have at least some clue what they're doing. Zoom tournaments are of course action packed, so they attract loads and loads of fish. So they have a very soft field and don't take insanely long. Also, since people are busting left and right, the average stack will usually be between 25-30bb until the final 2 tables or so, where stacks will probably get a bit more shallow. This means that there's also actually some room to play some poker, rather than just push/fold. This means there's actually room to take advantage of your post flop skill advantage.

With that out of the way, what adjustments do you have to make to be really successful in them? Here's the adjustments that I've been making so far and that we discussed after the tournament.

1: Open raise looser. Since many people are playing quite a bit tighter than in usual because they can just fast fold, I find it can pay off pretty big if you play a wider range of hands. If you then do outflop your opponent, there's a good chance you'll get paid off. So I'm stealing wider, even from earlier positions. You can also open raise looser in position because most players are quite bad, so you'll have an edge post flop.
      2: Defend tighter. This goes kind of hand in hand with the above point. Because people tend to have tighter ranges, I think you should defend with a tighter range of hands, especially out of position. Of course "defending tighter" does not mean you should defend like a nit.

So these are the two general things I do different in Zoom tournaments. What do you think about this? Am I making the right adjustments? Do you have any other ideas that you think people should change in their game when playing Zoom tournaments?

Any ideas and comments are of course welcome :)
  • 1 reply
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey Tino =)

I don't play zoom tournaments at all - so I can just give some general hints and hope they are helpful.

Imo zoom tournaments are not a good idea for most players. They won't go very well together with other tournaments. If you try to multitable a zoom tournament takes a lot of focus away from the other tables. At the same time you can't get the maximum out of the fast fold button, because your other tables will require some focus as well.

Furthermore I don't think that most tournaments are shorter then 25-30BB in the mid stages. However, many tournaments get even deeper when it comes to late game. Since you earn most money in late game szenarios a good late game structure would obviously be beneficial to a good midgame structure.

With that said I can assure you, that your adaptions make sense. If they are maxEV is hard to say. It depends very much on the other players and the general game flow.

Overall you won't have to balance anything and therefore you can play way looser, opening a very wide range, especially from early positions where you don't have to wait for the other players to fold to you (which would result in a loss of time because you would have been able to play at least one more hand if you fast folded).

Regards,
      Asaban