Need to improve my skills

• fjuws
      fjuws
      Bronze
      Hi All,

I'm Matt, new member to this site, I found saw an advert on TV and since I love to play poker I thought I might join so I can find some help to improve my poker skills.

I play poker whenever I have chance on PKR but I'm not a Pro of course. I really want to improve my poker skills so at least I can make some money per month, approximately a hundred per month will do.

I watch Poker channel everyday, and watch videos as well, have won some hands and managed to win some tournaments as well but I want to be better than this

Anyone has any suggestions what I should or can do to improve my skill in the game of poker?

Mat
  • 12 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by fjuws
      Anyone has any suggestions what I should or can do to improve my skill in the game of poker?

Mat
      Hi Mat !
      Welcome to PokerStrategy.com !

My suggestion would be to first get some of the free poker money, then sign up with an affiliated poker room.

Once that is done go through the strategy articles and videos using one of the courses. Even if you're not a rank beginner, I recommend the NL Beginner's course since it is a well-organised walk through the material.

Even if you "know it already" it is still a good idea to do the material.

Best of luck, and great to have you aboard!
      --VS
    • SpiritMountain
      SpiritMountain
      Basic
      Hi Matt,

Definitely practice makes perfect in poker. Keep working on your game and refining your strategy.

Good luck!
    • thirit2
      thirit2
      Basic
      Key of success 9/10 hard work, and 1 talent - Albert Einstein.
    • Jmm256
      Jmm256
      Basic
      Reading books always helps. The quickest and easiest way for me though was to just watch training videos and emulate what the pros were doing until I understood why.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I definitely advocate all the training material we have on this website. As Vorpal said beginner's course is the perfect introduction and even valuable to those who have been playing for some time.

I disagree with Jmm256 in terms of emulating the pros because their wealth of knowledge and experience leads them to do some plays that wouldn't be very profitable for beginner's like this play here. Instead try to watch videos where the players actively explain their reasonings and try to understand what concepts led them to make certain plays and then try apply these concepts to your own game. Then when you have these hands post them to our hand evaluation forums (have linked an NL hand evaluation forum for reference) and our coaches will give you valuable feedback. Hope this helped.

Regards,
      Luke
    • Jmm256
      Jmm256
      Basic
      Yeah looking back I don't think my advice was how it should be. Perhaps I meant to say understand why the pros in videos are doing what they do...then emulate :)
    • DjolusVicenus
      DjolusVicenus
      Silver
      Gold Academy. Best thing I ever saw in mine life.

If I didnt have status, and know what I know now, I would buy gold just to watch that.
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      Originally posted by Jmm256
      Yeah looking back I don't think my advice was how it should be. Perhaps I meant to say understand why the pros in videos are doing what they do...then emulate :)
      There are a load of poker blogs out there...check out the section on this site dedicated to the blogs and take a few pages out of their books..ost of the stuff is pretty good reading so def not a waste of time
    • Madavaster1
      Madavaster1
      Global
      Originally posted by fjuws
      I watch Poker channel everyday
      If you mean poker on TV - quit that right now. 0 value for a beginner and possibly a source for tons of misconceptions about the game.
    • ChondroKotha
      ChondroKotha
      Bronze
      Great! i am new to this site as well. Seems its a great site for the beginners because this site provides so many articles, coaching materials and also video coaching. Its great. I think these things altogether will help increase our understanding level of the game with great extent.
    • Madavaster1
      Madavaster1
      Global
      Originally posted by ChondroKotha
      Great! i am new to this site as well. Seems its a great site for the beginners because this site provides so many articles, coaching materials and also video coaching. Its great. I think these things altogether will help increase our understanding level of the game with great extent.
      No doubt about it :)
    • ChondroKotha
      ChondroKotha
      Bronze
      no hearing from you fjuws :)
      whats the current status of your poker and related thoughts