tournament hand ranges

• frazz4
      frazz4
      Silver
      Hi i'm a all round player been playing for 3-4 years, put in a reasonable amount of studying but still loosing.

really really want to be a good cash game player but must have some good leaks as i'm not winning over all. I think this is mainly due to bad discipline / physiological.

I'm a winning tournament player (small sample) but speaking to friends and reading forums I realise my game is off and I just want to know general things like.

Is the strategy to build a stack early, take a few marginal spots and then play tight, or play tight the whole time, and hope to run good?

When it comes to mid stages and your trying to steal is it anything to do with hand ranges or just position?

What hand ranges are good to open from MP both 6max and FR?

What hand ranges to you call a 3 bet OOP? what do you 4 bet?
  • 4 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Hi, frazz4,

Welcome to the forums!

You mention both cash games and tournaments

Since this is the tournament forum, I'll let more knowledgeable people address those questions.

I would suggest, though that all the material you need is already in our strategy articles and videos. To access those beyond basic level why not avail yourself of some free poker money and in the process you will accumulate strategy points and as you do so, you'll unlock higher and higher levels of material.

If that is not a possibility, you might consider purchasing a subscription to the level of your choice.

Once that is settled, I highly recommend going through the material by following the NL Beginner's course. The beginner's course provides a framework for the material that "makes it make sense".

Don't forget to take part in the coaching sessions, and be sure to submit hands for evaluation every time you hit one of those puzzling situations.

All the best,
      --VS
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Hey frazz4 and welcome to the tournament strategy forum.

I would be happy to see more postings from you in the future.

Since Vorpal already delivered valuable tips I will only add the tournament specific answers:

Originally posted by frazz4
      Is the strategy to build a stack early, take a few marginal spots and then play tight, or play tight the whole time, and hope to run good?
      Most experienced players will play a loose-aggressive style which is very successful if you know how to execute it.

For the lower stakes a tight-aggressive style might be preferable. Watch the blinds though - you shouldn't get to tight in order to remain with a reasonable stacksize.

When it comes to mid stages and your trying to steal is it anything to do with hand ranges or just position?
      Well - ranges get interesting as soon as you get called. Therefore you should always watch your ranges to make sure you won't get too light. In the end you should be able to perform reasonable postflop. Only very few situations require any two card open-raises.

What hand ranges are good to open from MP both 6max and FR?
      Very much depends on stacksizes, your opponents, your own image, the table flow, the tournament stage and so on.
      You would need a way more specific situation in order to get a valid answer.

What hand ranges to you call a 3 bet OOP? what do you 4 bet?
      Again: It depends on different things that I already mentioned.
      There is no standard in these situations without further specification.

I hope I was able to help!

If you have further questions feel free to ask!

Regards,
      Asaban
    • frazz4
      frazz4
      Silver
      so recently I've been building a big stack early and getting my bluffs called around the money bubble is example

vilian had been raising quite a bit i saw 7,5 ect ect

Poker Stars $3.00+$0.30 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t5/t5 Blinds + t350 - 6 players - View hand 2266145
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): t14823 M = 7.03
      UTG: t10400 M = 4.93
      MP: t36674 M = 17.38
      CO: t21794 M = 10.33
      BTN: t29907 M = 14.17
      SB: t47264 M = 22.40

Pre Flop: (t2110) Hero is BB with A :heart: 4 :diamond:
      UTG calls t5, 1 fold, CO calls t5, BTN raises to t610, 1 fold, Hero raises to t2285, 2 folds, BTN calls t1675

Flop: (t6685) Q :club: 5 :club: 9 :club: (2 players)
      Hero bets t2510, BTN calls t2510

Turn: (t11705) 8 :heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets t9678 all in, BTN calls t9678

River: (t31061) 6 :club: (2 players - 1 is all in)

I didn't like his flop call but still felt it was week and he could lay down top pair, especially with no club draw! should give me credit for k,k.

should i be trying these sort of moves or stay out the way?
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      In general the spot is not a bad one. You have a blocker (the ace) and a very active opponent opens from BU. A 3bet is perfectly reasonable.

However, your sizing is way off imo. I would 3bet to ~1400 chips. Maybe 1600. Not higher. 2300 chips are way too many and you won't have many options postflop. That way your 3bets get way more expensive and will need to be successful way more often in order to be profitable.

As played I don't see a lot of fold equity on the turn since he already called the flop. Therefore c/f might be preferable.

Regards,
      Asaban