Back to the Poker world after more than 2 years

• chuckdeg
      chuckdeg
      Bronze
      Hi my name is Charles and im from Canada. I used to play a lot of poker back then but even if i had decent knowledge...i realized i never played very well. Overall in those days, i didnt lose but didnt gain either. Well i probably lost money on online poker but i was up in live poker. I prefer playing live but it won't be possible nowadays as my free time is really limited.

I quit 2 years ago first because i had an opportunity to make a lot of cash in a short amount of time...and during that time i didnt play poker and didnt miss it.
      Also, some of my friends had gambling issues and i decided as a bro to stop playing so i couldnt tempt them. And last, i met the my wife a bit before that and didnt have much time to spend on poker anyway. That still holds on tough (not much free time with a wife and a full time job)

Recently, i've played a bit of live poker just for fun and indeed it was fun. Also one of the guys showed me zoom poker on the pokestars mobile app and i tought it was pretty nice. So i decided i would deposit some money just to play a bit when i have some free time (probably not more than 3 hours per week).

But i don't know if it's a good idea to play zoom poker or not as i have no knowledge how to play it decently. Any help where i could start?

If not, i'll probably stick to microlimits probably NL5 and my goal would be to up to NL10 eventually. But i have no clue how long would that take if only play 3 hours per week.

I never had a decent BRM so i'd like that if someone could link me a useful article regarding that.

If you have any other tips, feel free to do so?
  • 7 replies
    • chuckdeg
      chuckdeg
      Bronze
      Also, is there any good software for being able to track my play and post it here? If i play on mobile is there some kind of analyzer i can use or not?

Thanks
    • Ganimator
      Ganimator
      Bronze
      Hi Charles,

Pokertracker 4 and Hold'em manager 2 are the best tracking software but they are not free. I'm also not sure if these software's work on mobile devices. Personally I would suggest starting at Nl2 zoom to begin. It will help you get a feel for the game then you can move up. There is also a basic article on this site about bankroll management. Depending on what strategy you like to play (short stack, mid stack, big stack). I would recommend 25-30 buy-ins for the next limit, if you would like to be more aggressive then that go ahead but make sure you move down accordingly.

Make sure to watch a few micro limits videos, they are extremely helpful for new online player and will definitely improve your play

Good luck fellow Canadian :)
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Charles

Welcome to the blogging section and welcome back to the world of poker. Bankroll management is a very important part of the game so i advise reading this article.

Also i'm not sure if you are aware of our beginner's course. Even if you're not strictly a complete beginner it's a great way to get re-acquainted with the game and our coaches will sort you out over there.

Regards,
      Luke
    • chuckdeg
      chuckdeg
      Bronze
      Hey thanks for the info guys.

So i've been trying some Zoom...wasnt going bad nor good...managed to go from 20 Br to around 30 br in 2-3 quick sessions. But after playing it, i don't really like it. I have no tell on players...anyway i've never been a big fan of cash games and it seems it's still true.

So i've been playing some 3.50 $ SNG...probably too high for my bankroll but anyway got decents results....got up to a bit more than 60$ br...tonight i decided to play smallish tourneys with a friend and did manage to finish high on 180 players...so now i am at around 146....will probably continue playing SnG as i think it's what i am really the best at.

Now i'd like to know where i can get more info (videos, articles, others)
      on small SnGs...

I'm having fun right now...but i know it might get rougher when i'll hit a hard stretch. For now, it's been good :)
    • chuckdeg
      chuckdeg
      Bronze
      Ok so i downloaded the HM2 trial but i have no clue how i should use it. Any links to a basic setup or something...if not i guess i'll just try to learn it myself. I've searched on here but havent found much useful stuff except videos...
    • chuckdeg
      chuckdeg
      Bronze
      disregard my post about hm2, i found some tutorials...but id like to know what you suggest me to improve my sng and tournament game. Thanks
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey chuckdeg

There are some great articles here. Might I suggest for the next time you have a question about a specific thing like Sngs or like HEM, you want to post in the appropriate forums. I know they can get a bit confusing because there are so many of them but once you navigate your way around everything is so much more accessible imo and you are infinitely more likely to get a comprehensive answer from our users and experts alike.

All the best,
      Luke