where did I go wrong?

• Nuanda
      Nuanda
      Bronze
      Early in a $1 TURBO NL SNG-

blinds are 30/60

Hero had won previous pot of 3100 AK beating an AQ all in after a flop of QA5 and catching a K on the river.

8 players- 3 fold

Hero (3100 chip) is CO with A9 os bets 2/3 of pot

All players fold but MP2(920 chips)who calls

Flop= 235

Hero checks
      MP2 makes minimum bet
      Hero raises minumum
      MP2 goes All in
      Hero calls
      Hero shows A9
      MP2 shows JJ

Turn= 4

River K

Hero wins pot with a-5 strt over JJ

Others players ridicule hero! I know calling the push was risky but I had a major chip lead and was willing to risk losing the 920 chips and still have a small chip lead after in favour of beating him and having a massive chip lead.
      Did I deserve the abuse I got for the rest of the tourney until I won?
  • 8 replies
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      maybe a little ridicule, lol. But on the whole since MP2 did not raise preflop with JJ u could think that he was trying to steal the pot or he limped in with crap and hit. I dont know the way MP2 was playing up until then but i would not of min raised i would 3x bet sized raise (since you were big stack), once he pushed all in though you should have folded. And please correct me but i would not consider throwing away almost a third of my stack that early in the SnG good ICM.

PS people love to ridicule the big stack and really it is hard to take most people seriously on a 1$ SnG.
    • slikec
      slikec
      Global
      Man don't bother with others to much. If they see how "lose" you called you just adopt and play a bit more tight and win this SNG! If they are pissed about your "luck" thats their problem not yours. Actually if you know how to use it is additional advantage ;) I rarely read chats because:
      1. manly you read crap there
      2. i don't have time since i multitable.

Just take it easy lol ;)

P.S.: About hand he should showed preflop and call there would be bad. After you invested some money on flop(if there was only two minibets you should fold) if there was more money invested you couldn't get anyway.
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Sry messed it up ;)
    • Termi8r
      Termi8r
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Nuanda

Hero had won previous pot of 3100 AK beating an AQ all in after a flop of QA5 and catching a K on the river.

turn 4
      Hero wins pot with a-5 strt over JJ

You got very lucky with these hands. Please teach me to be so lucky ;) because it always seem to happen against me. Especially the random A-rag beating my KK with the runner runner A-5 straight. Read the articles and play tight then you'll understand why they behaved like that...

Good luck
      Termi8r
    • TheBrood
      TheBrood
      Bronze
      There is a lesson or two to be learned here I think. btw you gotta love learning on a suckout =)

1. He trapped you and you never saw it.
      2. He gave you a chance to fold when he went all in and even then you didnt see the trap.

Im not sure if you had odds to call but nearly any hand beats you there.
    • mafaz
      mafaz
      Bronze
      of course you deserved it... and i dont see how people in here can support you. Just tell him to read articles cause if you encourage him hell do that all the time with these hands....
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hi Nuanda,

rereading and understanding the articles is really a must for you in my opinion. Even though you can get lucky sometimes you will lose all of your money if you keep playing like this. Chasing a gutshot like you did is just not a good idea. Neither is minraising. I don't think there is ever a situation in which a minraise would be a good play.

With these blinds FOLD A9 preflop. As you said you are the chipleader so you should just sit back and play only monsters until the blinds increase so it will be profitable to start stealing them.

Learning to play SNGs profitably is way harder than learning the short stack strategy in my opinion. It takes a lot of effort and time and you are just in the beggining just like everyone once was. Just study the articles watch the videos and visit the coachings and you will be the one laughing at your opponents before you know it.. And you played the AK hand right as far as I can tell.
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah your move was not very good. Odds for getting that 4 are really bad.

I just played with another player who played at your level. He lost his 10$ buyin mainly to me because of similar mistakes.

So please.... do not make calls like that anymore.

If he goes all-in against you at that point, the minimum you should suspect is an Ace with a kicker that can beat you...

Learn to be a bit more patient. Yes the blinds are increasing.. but your ahead. Just relax a little and wait. The objective is not to eliminate the other players as fast as you can, but to win overall and hence you should wait for sure wins.. atleast in the beginning. Later on you goto change your strategy somewhat.