UTG ($20) 100bb
      UTG+1 ($20) 100bb
      CO ($21.21) 106bb
      BTN ($20) 100bb
      SB ($34.38) 172bb
      Hero (BB) ($20) 100bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) Hero is BB A:heart: Q:club:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.40, BTN calls $1

Flop: 9:club: 5:diamond: 9:spade: ($2.70, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.45, Hero calls $1.45

Turn: 8:spade: ($5.60, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3, Hero...

villain is 24/40 over 74 hands with no other info but def a regular.

preflop i 3bet for value. on the flop i sort of expected to get floated a ton but i dont know 100% if i should cbet here, so i jsut checked with the intention of calling a bet and playing cautiously if he checks back.

he stabs IP so i decided to call because...
      - he doesn't have AK/QQ+ (most likely)
      - he doesn't bet 22-88 (except 55)
      - he could check back JJ and TT? im not too sure about that myself...

- he bets all his air which is something like AJ, AT KQ, KJ.

so i check/call flop and see the turn. it just brings some draws and doesnt really hit his range much so i'd like to hear some suggestions for the plan...

should i x/c the turn with the intention of x/c blank rivers and x/f on spades and coordinating rivers?

should i x/c the turn and x/f the river with the assumption that he won't fire a 3rd barrel without something that beats me?

should i x/f right away?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Lewis,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I think that you are better off betting flop and ck/calling turn if you want (given the lack of info). We don't really know if he bets 22-88. A lot of people do.

So there's a lot of if's when you give up initiative so early in the hand and OOP.

As played what range do you have villain on for betting turn?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hmm some worse A highs, some K highs and some turned draws like JT or :spade: s...

at the time i think i was checking because i didn't know what worse hands would call me but i didnt consider his floats. so cbet flop seems ok but then we have some decisions when we check the turn...
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      hmm some worse A highs, some K highs and some turned draws like JT or :spade: s...

at the time i think i was checking because i didn't know what worse hands would call me but i didnt consider his floats. so cbet flop seems ok but then we have some decisions when we check the turn...
      However, aren't our alternatives a bit worse anyway?

If we bet flop we may not even see the turn, but if we ck/call we always see it and may often face a bet (like here). Which generally is a nastier spot to find yourself in.