This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] nl20 sh AQ 3bet pot

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Holdem
      6 Players

Stacks:
      UTG ($20) 100bb
      UTG+1 ($20) 100bb
      CO ($21.21) 106bb
      BTN ($20) 100bb
      SB ($34.38) 172bb
      Hero (BB) ($20) 100bb

Pre-Flop: ($0.30, 6 players) Hero is BB A:heart: Q:club:
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.40, BTN calls $1

Flop: 9:club: 5:diamond: 9:spade: ($2.70, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.45, Hero calls $1.45

Turn: 8:spade: ($5.60, 2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $3, Hero...

villain is 24/40 over 74 hands with no other info but def a regular.

preflop i 3bet for value. on the flop i sort of expected to get floated a ton but i dont know 100% if i should cbet here, so i jsut checked with the intention of calling a bet and playing cautiously if he checks back.

he stabs IP so i decided to call because...
      - he doesn't have AK/QQ+ (most likely)
      - he doesn't bet 22-88 (except 55)
      - he could check back JJ and TT? im not too sure about that myself...

- he bets all his air which is something like AJ, AT KQ, KJ.

so i check/call flop and see the turn. it just brings some draws and doesnt really hit his range much so i'd like to hear some suggestions for the plan...

should i x/c the turn with the intention of x/c blank rivers and x/f on spades and coordinating rivers?

should i x/c the turn and x/f the river with the assumption that he won't fire a 3rd barrel without something that beats me?

should i x/f right away?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Lewis,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I think that you are better off betting flop and ck/calling turn if you want (given the lack of info). We don't really know if he bets 22-88. A lot of people do.

So there's a lot of if's when you give up initiative so early in the hand and OOP.

As played what range do you have villain on for betting turn?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hmm some worse A highs, some K highs and some turned draws like JT or :spade: s...

at the time i think i was checking because i didn't know what worse hands would call me but i didnt consider his floats. so cbet flop seems ok but then we have some decisions when we check the turn...
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      hmm some worse A highs, some K highs and some turned draws like JT or :spade: s...

at the time i think i was checking because i didn't know what worse hands would call me but i didnt consider his floats. so cbet flop seems ok but then we have some decisions when we check the turn...
      However, aren't our alternatives a bit worse anyway?

If we bet flop we may not even see the turn, but if we ck/call we always see it and may often face a bet (like here). Which generally is a nastier spot to find yourself in.