[NL20-NL50] KTo 3betf rom BB vs BU

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $26.02 (104.1 bb)
      UTG: $8.50 (34 bb)
      MP: $29.65 (118.6 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $52.10 (208.4 bb)VPIP: 27, PFR: 21, 3B: 10, AF: 3.3, Hands: 85
      SB: $14.38 (57.5 bb)
      Preflop: Hero is BB with T K
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.50, SB folds, Hero raises to $1.50, BTN calls $1

Flop: ($3.10) A Q J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($7.10) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero raises to $11, BTN raises to $48.60 and is all-in, Hero calls $11.52 and is all-in

River: ($52.14) Q (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $52.14 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: A Q J 9 Q
      Hero showed T K and lost (-$26.02 net)
      BTN showed J J and won $50.14 ($24.12 net)
  • 6 replies
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Preflop:

If we call with KTo here, we keep our opponent's weaker Kx and Tx hands in play, which may otherwise fold to a 3-bet.

3-betting with KTo can leave us facing hands which dominate us.

No matter who had initiative, going to the flop I'm going to bet/3-bet.

We don't want to let a Kx or Tx catch their gutshot and we can also expect value from a lot worse.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi

Preflop: Calling is much better than 3-betting. You are isolating yourself vs the stronger parts of his range whereas if you just called here you keep all his worse hands in.

Postflop: I like the c/c F c/r T line if you called preflop. But since you are the 3-better, I see absolutely no reason not to keep on betting yourself. There's no need to put in a raise at any point in time to build the pot cos you can definitely just bet 3 streets yourself and play for stacks. Remember that this is a 3-bet pot and the remaining stack is much smaller than it would be in a single raised pot.

Thanks.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hi

Yeah this demonstrates how uncomfortable I feel playing oop in the BB vs the BU open. What kind of hands can I just flat pre ? and what is my general plan for the hand?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Very dependent on a few things

1. Raise size
      2. Opening range

Basically vs a min-raising range of 60%+ from the BU, you can probably defend hands as weak as J2o or T6o or 85s.

But that's probably a little too loose for you. I'll start with all KXs QXs AXs, 2 cards 8 and above (89+), all suited connectors and suited one-gappers.

General plan: Your odds for defending are really cheap so you don't necessarily need to try playing back at every flop, just those where you flop some sort of equity. And you will always be weaker on low boards so you should just check/fold much more often on those.

Sometimes c/r with some sort of equity, and mostly c/c with pairs.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Yeah i realise that mathematically it's sound to defend real wide vs such a wide min raising BU range but i struggle with the magnitude of a wide range vs another wide range.

With the Kxs, Axs, Qxs hands how far are we going to take top pairs generally speaking? again this is too broad a question i know. But yeah i'll just continue to post hands and hopefully then i'll start making sense of this mess ha
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      very dependent on board texture, number of missed draws, and his barreling frequencies.

A lot of the time you must ask yourself "what is my range here?"

Then based on his bet size you defend the appropriate number of hands. Or just fold hands at the bottom end of your range and call down with the top of your range.

Example: BB vs BU with KJ

board is K:hT:h8:s6:d5 and villain fires thrice. KJ is pretty much the strongest top pair hand you have since you probably 3bet KQ and AK pre, and raise K8/KT on the flop or turn. So this is probably a river call vs a 3-barrel from a good/aggro opponent. Similarly I would always fold AT to the river bet cos this is towards the bottom of my range unless i had an exploitive read that villain is bluffing way too often.