This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] K5s 3bet BB vs SB

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $63.18 (252.7 bb)
      SB: $31.21 (124.8 bb)
      Hero (BB): $25 (100 bb)
      UTG: $16.82 (67.3 bb)
      MP: $25 (100 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K 5
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero raises to $2.25, SB calls $1.50

Flop: ($4.50) 8 5 9 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.50, SB calls $2.50

Turn: ($9.50) J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.25, SB raises to $17.75, Hero calls $13.50

River: ($45) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $8.71 and is all-in, Hero calls $2.50 and is all-in

Results:
      $50 pot ($2 rake)
      Final Board: 8 5 9 J 2
      SB showed 9 J and won $48 ($23 net)
      Hero showed K 5 and lost (-$25 net)
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

preflop: The 3-bet is fine but I definitely think that K5s is strong enough to call here and prefer having a more polarized 3-betting range (comprising more weaker hands)

turn: hmm I'm betting this turn with the intention of shoving blank rivers to try folding out a hand like T9 or A9s/K9s. Vs the raise you are probably committed here with your 14? outs. That's effectively a Turn jam so it's like 20/50 = 40%.

This is kind of problematic. On one hand you don't really want to bet/fold your draw here. On the other hand you don't have enough odds to call the Turn raise.

What if you had used a larger Turn bet size? Betting 6 on the Turn, but you'll still get around 38% pot odds which is way less than the required 30% to bet/call.

With that said, checking back the Turn may be a good idea cos having to bet/fold here would suck.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hi

how strong does a hand need to be in order to defend passively on the big blind here? My general play here is to just float one street after a passive defend vs SB. Is this ok?

I don't really know what villains range looks like calling 3bet oop here. What do you think?

Yeah I might prefer checking back turn in hindsight
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Villain's Preflop range: Some mid-pairs, and mostly broadways (suited?) and middle suited connectors. If his range is wider he may defend some suited one gappers, lower suited connectors and suited aces.

required strength for passive defence: again, very hard to say. Depends on how wide villain is opening. Assuming the average villain opens 35-50%, I think I would be calling pretty wide here, like J2s+, Q2s+, K2s+, A2+, maybe K7o+, Q7o+, J8o+ and some middle cards and suited stuff.

You don't need to defend as wide as I do especially if you are playing weaker postflop, but at least try to widen your defending range a bit.

What's your fold to flop cbet btw? If it's 50%+ then you would probably be playing too weak and I would suggest putting in more work on your flop game.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I definitely need work on my flop game especially from the BB i'm losing at like 50BB so am trying to work on it.

fold to flop cbet is 42%. Ohk that range looks similar to the range that i've been defending. Usually I just float flop or turn and that is the extent of my game BB vs SB chucking in some random bluffs on dry boards after SB second barrells once in a blue moon.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      ok that sounds reasonable.