This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] AQo BB vs BU open

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $24.65 (98.6 bb)
      SB: $25 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $27.47 (109.9 bb)
      UTG: $49.76 (199 bb)
      MP: $22.91 (91.6 bb)
      CO: $12.50 (50 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A Q
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.75, SB folds, Hero raises to $2, BTN calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.10) 8 5 Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.75, BTN raises to $4.25, Hero calls $2.50

Turn: ($12.60) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $8.55, Hero raises to $21.22 and is all-in, BTN calls $9.85 and is all-in

River: ($49.40) T (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $49.40 pot ($2.00 rake)
      Final Board: 8 5 Q J T
      BTN showed 7 6 and won $47.40 ($22.75 net)
      Hero showed A Q and lost (-$24.65 net)

I don't like my c/r on the turn because I don't even have the nut flush draw. Is the turn just a c/f. Not too sure about the rest of the hand. really struggling playing from the BB
  • 2 replies
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Preflop:

I like your choice to 3-bet AQo, we can definitely expect value from worse Ax and Qx hands.

However, we don't want to let our opponent see the flop too cheaply, as this encourages him to call wider which is not favorable due to his positional advantage.

Betting bigger to 10BB ensures we don't allow him to call our 3-bets too wide, and he many still happily call many worse broadways.

F: We make TPTK, great! Now we can get lots of value from worse. Try betting bigger, at least 60% in 3-bet pots so $2.50 this time.

We don't like it when we face a 2-bet since he will often have a strong hand.

However, he could still be betting with worse so I'd plan on calling and trying to see a showdown.

T: The turn completes any flush draws, which could be a good chunk of our opponents 2-bet bluffing range.

I think I'd try to fold here since villain seems strong, but I don't mind calling since we still have TPTK and a backdoor flush to the 3rd nuts.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi.

Preflop: Being OOP I would usually make my 3-bet size around 3.5X. So in this case I think $2.50 is good. You are losing value by making your 3-bet size too small and you are allowing him to defend many more hands profitably.

Flop: I would just 3-bet to 7 or 8 here and play for stacks. Board is really draw heavy and villain could potentially be raising worse hands like KQ for value. There are so many bad turn cards for you like the J

Turn: Not the best turn card in the world - combo draws and nut flush draws are a huge part of his flop raising range. I guess stacking off is ok when you have Q

Thanks.