Well well well, look what the cat dragged in...

• SheepMoose
      Hey guys.
      It's safe to say I haven't posted here in YEARS. It's interesting to see how much things have changed.

Anyway, for those that aren't aware, my name is Sean and I live in Australia. I've been playing poker since before I was 18, and discovered PokerStrategy just before my 18th birthday. After signing up, waiting for my 18th birthday to hit, I received the $50 and went about on 888 poker.

Of course, being undisciplined, it wasn't too long before I lost it doing flips.
      I then knew I needed to study. Learn bankroll management. Learn how to think, rather than having PokerStrategies charts think for me (no offense to the charts. They're good, but thinking yourself is 10x better). I then started playing at Pokerstars, Party Poker, Full Tilt, and many other places. It's safe to say over the course of the years I was a break even player. I lost a fair amount at Full Tilt, but have made equally as much back from Party Poker and PokerStars.

These days I can be found playing at PokerStars 6-max NL2 tables.
      Mind you, it has been years since I've played properly, so I'm a little rusty.

I only started playing again the other day when I deposited onto Pokerstars, with what would be a "do or die" attempt at Bankroll management.

Having only close to $14 in my account, it was always a risky venture. There's always an abundance of Fish at NL2 - NL10 though, so making money wasn't difficult.

The difficult part was getting the calls spot on.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

UTG ($3.20)
      Hero (MP) ($4.12)
      Button ($4.83)
      SB ($1.79)
      BB ($4.84)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9:diamond: , 9:spade:
      UTG bets $0.06, Hero raises to $0.22, 3 folds, UTG calls $0.16

Flop: ($0.47) Q:club: , 7:spade: , 3:spade: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.60, Hero calls $0.60

Turn: ($1.67) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      UTG bets $2.38 (All-In), Hero calls $2.38

River: ($6.43) 8:spade: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $6.43 | Rake: $0.22

UTG had K:heart: , 3:heart: (one pair, threes).
      Hero had 9:diamond: , 9:spade: (one pair, nines).
      Outcome: Hero won $6.21

It didn't always work though, and sometimes I lost big pots. It's expected to happen though.

From playing NL2 in the last few days, I've managed to get myself a rather beefy looking bankroll:

Although it hasn't always been the smoothest of rides.
      I guess opening 30% of my hands results in high variance play styles.

So that's where I currently stand.
      I'm still playing NL2, and shall move up to NL5 once I get to about $150. NL2 is pretty lolworthy, so I won't be getting bored of it any time soon I don't think.

Current Goals:

- Improve upon my thinking skills.
      - Fix those leaks.
      - Enjoy myself at the tables.

I'm not really looking to make a living off of this, nor am I interested in making much money at all. In the end of the day I'm here to donk about and enjoy the wave while it lasts.
      Hopefully I can enjoy the wave for much longer.

Ah, it's good to get back into the spirit of posting at PS.com. ;)

Well, that's it guys!
      Any questions do ask. I'm all ears and will try to help when possible.

• 12 replies
    • metza
      Interesting redline/blueline dynamic considering it is at NL2/5. The fish here hate folding any pair, so its weird most of your winnings are non-showdown. but greenline is all that matters and for now you are crushing so keep up the good work!
    • SheepMoose
      I always hear people saying "Fish never fold". It's just not true.
      You just have to know when they will and when they don't, which is fairly easy once you've sat with them for a little while and studied them.

I play VERY aggressive. My current VPIP is 28.2% with a PFR of 23.8%, although this isn't the best sample size as it's only over 11,000 hands or so. I'm probably more along the lines of a 33% VPIP player (last two sessions have been between 35 - 42% VPIP). This aggressive play allows me to confuse opponents, as it's a lot harder for them to put me on a range (not that many of them think about this at NL2).

Having this loose range though means that I need to be aggressive post-flop in the correct situations. It's all about reading ranges and understanding which board helps which range and how a flop with a certain range would be played by certain people.

For instance:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($2)
      Hero (SB) ($2.88)
      BB ($1.92)
      UTG ($1.42)
      MP ($1.63)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J:spade: , Q:spade:
      UTG calls $0.02, MP calls $0.02, Button bets $0.14, Hero calls $0.13, 2 folds, MP calls $0.12

This call here is considered marginal, especially OOP. UTG limping (being a 50/10 fish) made me want to get involved in a pot though.

Flop: ($0.46) 8:spade: , 2:heart: , 9:heart: (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP checks, Button checks

This flop is pretty sketchy, although BTN would be cbetting for value/protection against draws/worse pairs if he had a hand worth continuing with.

Turn: ($0.46) 4:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.28, 1 fold, Button calls $0.28

May as well lead out on a blank turn. It doesn't help any draws, nor much of BTN's range. With the fish folding that puts me in a 1 vs. 1 against the BTN, who is VERY tight and has a range of pocket pairs/suited overcards. Plan is to bet the turn and barrel any river.

River: ($1.02) 5:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.62, 1 fold

Again, the 5 of diamonds is a blank card. While it gives 7-6 a straight 7-6 is RARELY in this nits range. I bet as planned, taking down the pot with complete air.

Total pot: $1.02 | Rake: $0.04

Hero didn't show J:spade: , Q:spade: (nothing).

So as you can see, if you think correctly in certain situations there's no reason why you can't get certain people to fold.
      You just need to adjust your play to suit different individuals.

It's a risky strategy though, and sometimes I do get called out on it. Hence the lower Showdown winnings. That's a goal of mine though, to increase such showdown winnings. I've always had a solid red line though.
    • SheepMoose
      Just took the bankroll up to $72.
      Kind of feel pretty shitty about it though. There were a couple of hands that I misread and got it in bad with, before hitting on the river.

While not everyone would be unhappy about losing a hand you went in to as a loser, it shows that I'm getting the money in bad which I really need to improve.

Also came across JustKyle88 while playing. Figured I'd leave his table so I don't disturb him though. ;)
    • SheepMoose
      Todays session absolutely sucked. Lost every coinflip, coolered in numerous places, had people call me with marginal hands in places they shouldn't have.

Made a nice read here though. Actually put him on the exact hand he had.

Hero (SB) ($2.05)
      BB ($2.04)
      UTG ($2.95)
      MP ($2.38)
      Button ($2)

BTN was just beaten in a pot earlier by a calling station, so seemed a little tilty. Chose to call his raise because I figured his range was a bit wider after the previous hand.

Preflop: Hero is SB with 4:diamond: , 4:heart:
      UTG bets $0.06, 1 fold, Button raises to $0.24, Hero calls $0.23, 1 fold, UTG calls $0.18

Interesting flop.
      Flop: ($0.74) 3:heart: , 4:club: , 6:spade: (3 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks, Button checks

His check makes no sense here. 99+ will ALWAYS bet for value against any draws or worse hands. His range becomes a lot more defined after this check. The strongest of the hands he'd 3bet would require a bet on the flop. This leaves him with AT, AJ, AQ, AK, possibly KQ or QJ considering his attitude in the chat prior to this hand.

Turn: ($0.74) 10:club: (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.55, 1 fold, Button calls $0.55

Betting here is always the best option. He calls, which is odd. I doubt a hand with a flush draw would call. It'd have to be either a raise or a fold as it's always unlikely that a flush draw will hit on the river here.

River: ($1.84) 7:club: (2 players)

Well, the river isn't the best card. The flush has hit, so has a 4 to a straight. I can't imagine him 3betting x5 preflop though. Even A5s wouldn't be something he'd raise. Going by his turn call, I believe the T helped him bul doesn't have a good hand. My guess at this point in time was an AT or something.

Hero checks, Button bets $1.21 (All-In), Hero calls $1.21

Total pot: $4.26 | Rake: $0.15

Button had A:spade: , 10:heart: (one pair, tens).
      Hero had 4:diamond: , 4:heart: (three of a kind, fours).
      Outcome: Hero won $4.11

Safe to say he wasn't too happy with the results. ;)

wehaveadeal: lolllllllllllllllllll
      wehaveadeal: how idiot you re !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      wehaveadeal: omg
      StuntmenBob: why is he the idiot? lol
      mo0seee: Because I won
      wehaveadeal: god save me from these idiots
      StuntmenBob: i see...
      StuntmenBob: but i love idiots on the tables... they bring me money:D
      mo0seee: If I'm an idiot it'll just make it easier to take my stack
      mo0seee: So please do enjoy my idiocy
      wehaveadeal: if i run like hell isn t easy
      wehaveadeal: if you run like that
      mo0seee: Run like what? I had best hand throughout the entire hand
      wehaveadeal: none of reg won t call with 44 a squeeze of utg
      mo0seee: I'm new and what is this
      wehaveadeal: such a nonsense your hand
      StuntmenBob: loool no, you r right no one would in 6max *facepalm*
      wehaveadeal: im just so tilted
      wehaveadeal: all over here are idiots like you and majesty
      wehaveadeal: and you stay on river a lot to call that
      wehaveadeal: i thought i was good then
      mo0seee: I called preflop because I had a trips draw.
      wehaveadeal: so stupid slowroll
      wehaveadeal: in 3 way pot when utg open and sb squeeze
      StuntmenBob: u were on the button mron...
      mo0seee: Yeah I had a trips draw. And I had two different suits so I had two different flush draws preflop
      StuntmenBob: stop *****in around cause of one hand ..
      wehaveadeal: llllllllllooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllll
      wehaveadeal: they can t fold
      wehaveadeal: wtf is this sh it
      wehaveadeal: guys you re so stupid
      mo0seee: This is no limit holding them
      wehaveadeal: i can t believe

After that the session went to shit.
      Had a rather sick cooler at one point too.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

BB ($1.04)
      Hero (UTG) ($3.87)
      MP ($2.41)
      CO ($2.70)
      Button ($4.35)
      SB ($2.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9:heart: , 9:club:
      Hero bets $0.07, 3 folds, SB calls $0.06, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.16) A:diamond: , 9:spade: , 10:spade: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.12, SB calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.40) 5:heart: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.28, SB calls $0.28

River: ($0.96) 4:diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.46, Hero raises to $2.18, SB calls $1.32 (All-In)

Total pot: $4.52 | Rake: $0.16

SB had A:spade: , A:club: (three of a kind, Aces).
      Hero had 9:heart: , 9:club: (three of a kind, nines).
      Outcome: SB won $4.36

Won't talk about strategy involving it. It's all pretty standard, apart from his calls. Nice hand to him though.

Decided I'd call it quits after that. Was down 3BI's afterwards, and running below EV.

Bankroll: $67.33
    • Farmarchist
      Well calling with 44 is indeed pretty terrible :P Esp. if his range is wider
    • SheepMoose
      I do agree. I still have those little leaks to iron out.
    • SheepMoose
      Today was good.
      Having lost those 3 buy ins last night I returned to the table ready to grind. I hit NL2 ZOOM, and made back my money after an hour or so. Made me sleep a bit better.

Wasn't planning on playing poker today, but I did just put in an hour and a half long session. Made another few buy ins, which has now taken my total bankroll to $79.12.

One thing I've noticed on these forums is that a LOT of people are very tag-ish. There's good reasons to be looser than a tag though. One of which is image. Image isn't too important in the microstakes, but against any thinking player (rare, but they're out there) it definitely helps.

Todays session had me running at a VPIP and PFR of 36.1/31.7 over 200 hands. I raise about 15 - 20% more hands than the majority of tags, with good reason. You want to isolate fish with as many hands as possible. This includes hands such as 43s in position, or 87o. Both hands play very well post flop. It's not as though you're going to get all of your money in with a pair of 4's, or a pair of 7's with no real kicker. Providing you know how to play post-flop there's absolutely no reason why you can't raise as wide as I did today. At one table I even managed to raise 52% of my hands, although I wasn't dealt crap for a lot of it and it was a small sample size.

Image, against thinking players, does a LOT when it comes to increasing your bb/100. This is more likely than not the reason why my redline is so high; because I'm in a lot of pots betting a lot of streets.
      You do have to balance of course, which is why you don't bet 3 streets on every board with every hand. It pays to know these things.

An example of my perceived image of an aggrodonk is below.

Mind you, this tag was playing 17/7 after 60 hands. He made NO previous maniac actions, nor made any move that gave him an image of being a fishy player. This is a prime example of what perceived image can do though, as for the hands that he was at my table, he would constantly see me raise/reraise/barrel.

Button ($6.49)
      SB ($2)
      Hero (BB) ($3.23)
      UTG ($4.94)
      MP ($3.22)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A:diamond: , A:spade:
      3 folds, SB bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.26, SB raises to $0.44, Hero raises to $3.23 (All-In), SB calls $1.56 (All-In)

Flop: ($4) 7:club: , 5:spade: , 6:diamond: (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($4) 7:spade: (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($4) 5:diamond: (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $4 | Rake: $0.14

SB had 10:diamond: , K:heart: (two pair, sevens and fives).
      Hero had A:diamond: , A:spade: (two pair, Aces and sevens).
      Outcome: Hero won $3.86

He left the table right after. Didn't even wait for his Big Blind.
      It's safe to say that if I was raising as often as he did this sort of thing would not have happened. I believe if we were UTG and MP it would have been different too. His min-4bet looked SO weak though. I could have called it or re-raised small, but what would have happened if the flop had bricked against his range? What would have happened if the flop came :club: :club: :club: or something? This is why I elected to jam.

And this, my friends, is why it pays to raise loose while IP and harass the table constantly. Just watch out for people that may catch on, and adjust your play accordingly. I don't think there's EVER a situation I approach with a one-set mentality. Doing so would make me a losing player. It's always best to adjust your play according to the play of those around you.

Stay thirsty.

BR: $79.12
    • SheepMoose
      Had a big heater of a session today. Took myself up about 7 buy ins at one point, but finished the session with close to 5 buy ins due to a hand or two.

I must say, I certainly did get paid out in places I usually wouldn't.

Poker Stars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (5 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Button ($2.03)
      Hero (SB) ($7.64)
      BB ($0.59)
      UTG ($2.50)
      MP ($2.27)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K:club: , K:diamond:
      2 folds, Button bets $0.06, Hero raises $0.23, BB calls $0.22, Button raises $1.97 (All-In), Hero calls $1.79, BB calls $0.35 (All-In)

Flop: ($4.65) 10:club: , Q:club: , 6:spade: (3 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: ($4.65) 2:heart: (3 players, 2 all-in)

River: ($4.65) 3:diamond: (3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: $4.65

Button didn't show
      Hero had K:club: , K:diamond: (one pair, Kings).
      BB didn't show
      Outcome: Hero won $4.49

Pretty standard hand here, although I was a bit worried I'd run into AA. Seeing the Q on the flop made me shit myself, as I also expected him to come up with QQ at times.

Then there was this hand on the same table.

Hero (MP) ($3.92)
      Button ($0.61)
      SB ($2.52)
      BB ($3.87)
      UTG ($2.31)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 10:diamond: , A:heart:
      1 fold, Hero bets $0.07, 1 fold, SB calls $0.06, BB calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.21) Q:club: , 2:spade: , K:diamond: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.21) J:heart: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB bets $0.14, Hero raises to $0.88, 1 fold, BB calls $0.74

River: ($1.97) 5:spade: (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $2.97 (All-In), BB calls $2.92 (All-In)

Total pot: $7.81 | Rake: $0.27

BB didn't show
      Hero had 10:diamond: , A:heart: (straight, Ace high).
      Outcome: Hero won $7.54

Which is pretty standard. I guess he expected me to come up with KQ here or something which might be in my range, but eh I'm unsure.

Anyway, after this he reloaded. He played a few orbits and didn't do much. Started looking like a bit more of a nit than a tag at this point.

Then came this hand.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (6 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

CO ($2.03)
      Hero (Button) ($10.21)
      SB ($0.77)
      BB ($3.08)
      UTG ($2.55)
      MP ($1.16)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q:club: , Q:heart:
      UTG bets $0.12, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.12, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.27) 7:spade: , J:diamond: , Q:spade: (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.70, UTG calls $0.54

Turn: ($1.67) 4:spade: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero checks

River: ($1.67) 4:club: (2 players)
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.85, UTG calls $1.73 (All-In)

Total pot: $5.13 | Rake: $0.18

Hero had Q:club: , Q:heart: (full house, Queens over fours).
      UTG didn't show
      Outcome: Hero won $4.95

I think my check back on the turn is best, as he can easily have a flush here. I'm happy with how it was played and wouldn't play it otherwise.

So those were the standard hands from this session. There was definitely a non-standard one which I'll post here below.

Villain just seemed to have it out for me somehow. Always calling my bets. A hand prior to this he floated my bet with KQo on 775. Turn was a 5 so I gave up having a pair of threes and no real fold equity. I don't know what he expects me to turn up with here if I'm giving up in places I could potentially bluff as he's seen prior.

Interesting hand none the less.

Button ($1.60)
      SB ($4.73)
      BB ($2)
      Hero (UTG) ($3.48)
      MP ($3.50)
      CO ($2.10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8:heart: , A:heart:
      Hero bets $0.07, MP raises to $0.18, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.11

A call here is pretty marginal, but considering he's tilting at this point I don't see why I can't play this hand, even OOP against such an aggrodonk.

Flop: ($0.39) 10:spade: , 10:club: , A:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $0.31, Hero raises to $1.10, MP calls $0.79

Check/raising is super standard against an aggrodonk. Plan is to shove any turn.

Turn: ($2.59) 6:diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.20 (All-In), MP calls $2.20

As planned, I shove here. Reason for this is because he just ends up with so many worse hands so frequently. JJ - KK, probably even pocket pairs such as 55 - 99.

River: ($6.99) 9:heart: (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $6.99 | Rake: $0.24

Hero had 8:heart: , A:heart: (two pair, Aces and tens).
      MP had 6:club: , 10:diamond: (full house, tens over sixes).
      Outcome: MP won $6.75

Safe to say I had a good laugh when I saw what he had. :tongue: While I may have lost this hand I'm happy knowing he'll lose his bankroll to many others soon enough.

Current Bankroll: $94.47

I'm probably going to have a break from poker for a few days, now that it's the weekend. Expect more updates in a couple of days!
    • SheepMoose
      Had an absolutely sick day today.
      Down 6 buy ins. :( Got coolered NUMEROUS times. Flopped two pairs? Beaten by a better two-pair. Flopped trips? Villain turns a 2 outer.

It's one of those demoralizing sessions that make you want to hang the boots up for a little bit. Played 500 hands, and during every one of those hands just never felt comfortable at the tables.
    • SheepMoose
      So, July was a bit of a bummer.
      Saw that I had 60VPP's to go until Silverstar. Thought to myself "Yolo", and fired up 4 tables of NL2 ZOOM.
      That was a mistake. My lack of concentration with such fast play caused me to get the money in bad many times. I ended the session down 4 buy ins, and despite making Silverstar, and releasing my $10 bonus given to me by stars, I don't feel too happy. Had a 5K hand stretch of breakeven play which sucks. Oh well.

Here's July's graph:

Things I now need to focus on...

- Getting it in when I'm good, and not just because "I have a pair and Villains triple pot barrel looks like a bluff despite the four to a straight board."
      - Smaller sessions. I can do well in 1 - 2 hour blocks, but sometimes play for 3 - 4 hours straight which makes my days -EV.
      - Improve upon the thinking process. Less automated clicks, more questioning why X did Y.
      - Study, study, study (Thankfully PokerStrategy has plenty of videos I can watch!).

Anyway, that's my update for now.
      Bring on August, I reckon.

[B]Bankroll: $87.99[/b]
    • SheepMoose
      Will somebody please send me some run good? lol

• SheepMoose
      Hey guys. :)

It's been a while since I've updated this thread.

I was going through a rather large break-even stretch which 'caused some tilt issues. Kept going up to $90, then down to $75, rinse and repeat.

So the past week or so I've been practicing having good discipline and improving my mental game. I dropped the amount of tables I played, and began closing all programs minus Pokerstars + HEM and putting a timer on my sessions. Whether I was doing extremely well or extremely bad, once the session time was over I'd just stop right there. It's really helped me play optimally and improve my game a hell of a lot.

In fact, I've improved my game enough to the point where I've beefed up the bankroll, and taken a shot at NL5.

Here's my graph so far:

There's really not much difference at NL5 compared to NL2, apart from the even bigger influx of nits. Safe to say I'm considering staying at NL5 permanently unless there's a reason for me not to though!

Bankroll: $128.02