This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 Q9s river spot - bluffcatcher vs a strange line

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 3 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): $25.35 (101.4 bb)
      BTN: $27.73 (110.9 bb)
      SB: $25.29 (101.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9 Q
      BTN folds, SB raises to $0.75, Hero calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.50) 7 2 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $1, SB raises to $3, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($7.50) 4 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4.75, SB calls $4.75

River: ($17) 5 (2 players)
      SB bets $16.79 and is all-in, Hero folds

-----

Villain was unknown and since I know most regs, he is likely to be a recreational player.

FLOP
      I put villain on 88+ and A:sx. Vs that range I get good odds to call:
      http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Board: 7s2s2h
      Equity Win Tie
      SB 65.88% 65.80% 0.09% { 88+, AsKs, AsQs, AsJs, AsTs, As9s, As8s, As7s, As6s, As5s, As4s, As3s, As2s }
      BB 34.12% 34.03% 0.09% { Qs9s }

However, I think I haven't considered the reverse implied odds in this scenario as my draw is often dominated and I'm not sure if Q or 9 is good. Could I find a fold here vs an unknown?

TURN
      Value betting, would really suck to face a shove here but I would have to fold if I do?

RIVER
      #1 If he doesn't bet, I would shove myself, right?
      However, when he bets, I'm not sure I'm I'm good to call. I don't see him making this line with worse hands and it looks really strong.
      #2 So folding is max EV?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dawidas888,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: Generally not many guys ck/raise for value as the PFR unless you are super aggro and have some history. So I don't really expect a ton of value hands in his range on that board.

As played I think the river is close because of his super weird line. I don't think he is bluffing so what do we beat? I can't find much.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the evaluation!

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that my bet/call line OTF is alright because his range is skewed mostly towards draws/bluffs? Should I be worried by reverse implied odds in this spot?

If I hit a Q/9 my plan would be to calldown most of the time, right?

Also, so overall I played this hand fine and made no mistakes?

Thanks again for the help!
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dawidas888
      Hi Bogdan,

Thanks for the evaluation!

So if I understand you correctly you are saying that my bet/call line OTF is alright because his range is skewed mostly towards draws/bluffs? Should I be worried by reverse implied odds in this spot?

If I hit a Q/9 my plan would be to calldown most of the time, right?

Thanks again for the help!
      Yes, there are better draws but also worse ones. And if we hit the Q or 9 we have a great showdown hand now (especially a Q).