This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH A5s 3bet pot

• trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $6.05 (121 bb)
      SB: $5.35 (107 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.28 (105.6 bb)
      UTG: $5.06 (101.2 bb)
      MP: $6.93 (138.6 bb)
      CO: $6 (120 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 5
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.38, BTN calls $0.26

Flop: ($0.78) 5 3 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BTN calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.58) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.98, Hero raises to $3, BTN folds

Results:
      $3.54 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: 5 3 6 8
      BTN mucked and lost (-$1.76 net)
      Hero mucked A 5 and won $3.39 ($1.63 net)

Opponent is 19/11 and I'm pretty sure he had high ATS (any way to check it in Holdem Manager? I only get the vpip/pfr/3bet in the hand viewer), so I decided to 3-bet.

On flop I get a piece and c-bet, standard.

Was the turn a good spot for a check-raise?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi trzewia,

Preflop: Our 3-bet size is a bit small and will invite quite a few calls which we want to avoid with such hands. Since he plays 19/11 I'm assuming he is some reg fish so I'd avoid 3-bet bluffing these type of hands.

Postflop: As played what's the point of the check/raise? Can worse hands call? Can better hands fold?

The only value in a ck/raise is to get a lot more value from floats but I wouldn't expect floats in his range.
    • trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      Again, I think his ATS was abnormally large

We need to raise bigger here to compensate for his small raise. What would be a good amount to 3-bet here? I usually just pot it.

How important is it to adjust my 3-bet size? Is always raising the pot against a standard raise (no matter if IP/OOP) a leak?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by trzewia
      Again, I think his ATS was abnormally large

We need to raise bigger here to compensate for his small raise. What would be a good amount to 3-bet here? I usually just pot it.

How important is it to adjust my 3-bet size? Is always raising the pot against a standard raise (no matter if IP/OOP) a leak?
      ATS or attempt to steal is available in HEM in multiple ways. Either steal % in those positions, or RFI (raise first in) or even UO PFR (un opened).

Pot size seems a bit high.

Normally I 3-bet IP 8-10 BB based on his raise and OOP I make it 10-12 BB again based on raise.

So here he makes it 2.5x so I can see us making it 10 BB (10.5).

And yes, why would you want to 3-bet the same IP and OOP? Aren't these spots very different?

Of course, if for example you only 3-bet mostly value in both spots (and the same ranges) then you'd have a very similar bet size.