[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH A5s 3bet pot

• trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $6.05 (121 bb)
      SB: $5.35 (107 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.28 (105.6 bb)
      UTG: $5.06 (101.2 bb)
      MP: $6.93 (138.6 bb)
      CO: $6 (120 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A 5
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.38, BTN calls $0.26

Flop: ($0.78) 5 3 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.40, BTN calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.58) 8 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.98, Hero raises to $3, BTN folds

Results:
      $3.54 pot ($0.15 rake)
      Final Board: 5 3 6 8
      BTN mucked and lost (-$1.76 net)
      Hero mucked A 5 and won $3.39 ($1.63 net)

Opponent is 19/11 and I'm pretty sure he had high ATS (any way to check it in Holdem Manager? I only get the vpip/pfr/3bet in the hand viewer), so I decided to 3-bet.

On flop I get a piece and c-bet, standard.

Was the turn a good spot for a check-raise?
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi trzewia,

Preflop: Our 3-bet size is a bit small and will invite quite a few calls which we want to avoid with such hands. Since he plays 19/11 I'm assuming he is some reg fish so I'd avoid 3-bet bluffing these type of hands.

Postflop: As played what's the point of the check/raise? Can worse hands call? Can better hands fold?

The only value in a ck/raise is to get a lot more value from floats but I wouldn't expect floats in his range.
    • trzewia
      trzewia
      Bronze
      Again, I think his ATS was abnormally large

We need to raise bigger here to compensate for his small raise. What would be a good amount to 3-bet here? I usually just pot it.

How important is it to adjust my 3-bet size? Is always raising the pot against a standard raise (no matter if IP/OOP) a leak?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by trzewia
      Again, I think his ATS was abnormally large

We need to raise bigger here to compensate for his small raise. What would be a good amount to 3-bet here? I usually just pot it.

How important is it to adjust my 3-bet size? Is always raising the pot against a standard raise (no matter if IP/OOP) a leak?
      ATS or attempt to steal is available in HEM in multiple ways. Either steal % in those positions, or RFI (raise first in) or even UO PFR (un opened).

Pot size seems a bit high.

Normally I 3-bet IP 8-10 BB based on his raise and OOP I make it 10-12 BB again based on raise.

So here he makes it 2.5x so I can see us making it 10 BB (10.5).

And yes, why would you want to 3-bet the same IP and OOP? Aren't these spots very different?

Of course, if for example you only 3-bet mostly value in both spots (and the same ranges) then you'd have a very similar bet size.