No pain, no gain! Another SSS carreer

• phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

today I just upgraded to Silver status :D and decide to create my own blog!

Next posts I will describe my poker experience since now (almost insignificant before PS) and post my evolution so far... I hope I can help others SSS beginners to discover (without any doubts!) that using SSS you could achieve high stacks.

But, after talk about myself, I have a question that I think is important to every SSS beginner. As I said, I just reached Silver status and my initial $50 bankroll is now $117.1. I hope in the next few days I could play NL20. So the question is: should I play like I'm doing so far (following strictly basic SSS)? What kind of new theories should I start to learn (ex: pot equity, implied odds, etc)??
      I really want to know how to use PS Equilator in his best way, to analyze my games (and posted hands from others PS users) and some crazy theory that could came in my mind. Equilator documentation is a little poor about theories and specific tutorials to do some kind of analysis... I think is time to be more resourcefulness on this kind of tools, for when I achieve higher levels be prepared to another level of villains.

So, I have to thanks to people from PS. Without your articles, forums and hand reviews, probably I still be an regular fish at the tables!! :)

Best regards!

Good play for all.
  • 18 replies
    • jmackenzie
      jmackenzie
      Silver
      Learning SSS up until NL25
      beating the limits as fast as possible

NL10:

BRM

SHC

Stack: Raise size (raise behind)

Train your discipline, follow the rules

Understanding why sticking to the theory is best

Create a blog – Make a studyplan/arrange your playing times

Post hands (as many as you can)

NL25:

Equity

Odds

(Hidden) Outs

Potodds

Implied odds

Discounted odds

How to play in a freeplay situation, considering potbuilding and pot control.

calling pocket pairs

Table-selection

In general:

Never get too much learning material, as learning some things really good always beats learing a little bit of everything.

Start out with 2 tables and never play more then 6 (unless you need to quickly get a bonus or something)

Talk about why you play a hand the way you do, or at least ask why you should play a hand as someone has advised.

Follow Basic SSS coachings!!!

Borrowed it from a download i got from one of leo's coachings hope he doesnt mind. Make sure you go to them they really help.
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Hi guys,

despite the fact that it was my first shot at NL20 and I was able to play just a few hands, I expected a little better results. But it was not so bad at all, as you can see below:

Inspired on Gerv's blog I decide to create "The Donk Charity Moment" :tongue: . It could be funny now, but when you are playing and face players like this, my desire is to break my keyboard.

The Donk Charity Moment

Known players:
      Hero:
      $4.00
      UTG+2:
      $20.00
      MP1:
      $18.90
      MP2:
      $27.74
      MP3:
      $20.19
      CO:
      $40.85
      BU:
      $23.34
      SB:
      $9.00
      BB:
      $4.60

Texas Hold'em NL20 (9 handed)
      Hand converter used for this poker hand: Ongame Hand Converter v0.3.6 by Lifeisabug.

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Q:spade: , Q:diamond:
      Hero raises to $0.80, 7 folds, BB raises to $4.60 (All-in), Hero calls $3.20 (All-in).

Flop: ($8.70) A:club: , 3:diamond: , 7:club: (2 players)

Turn: ($8.70) K:club: (2 players)

River: ($8.70) 2:club: (2 players)

Final Pot: $8.70

Results follow:
      BB shows [ K:spade: , 6:heart: ]
      Hero shows [ Q:spade: , Q:diamond: ]

The point here is: this kind of bad lucky will always happen. As fast you can handle it with patience and fun, more you will take full advantage from SSS and less probably tilt yourself.
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      I started to play poker just a year and half ago. I never liked any kind of games, specially card games... but when my brother convinced me to try play poker for just few minutes I fallen in love :D

Today I have 29 years old and work as IT solution architect on a big global software enterprise. Unfortunally I have much less time to dedicate to poker that I wish (if you have a full day job, are married and have 3 dogs you probably know what I mean ;) )

My life goal: won money with poker and invest on stock market. And, sure, have my own kennel.

Bellow Im posting my stats so far. Please, note that Mansion and Pockertracker are not "so closely". So its not accurate... but its possible to have a general idea.

Today my bankroll is: $127.08

My stats so far

• phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Hi,

despite the fact that I still play on micro limits, moving from NL10 to NL20 is not been easy as I think. I don't know why, but villains appears more aggressive...

Anyway, here go my weekend profit. I can't play more because I have an flight to take.

• phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Originally posted by jmackenzie
      Learning SSS up until NL25
      beating the limits as fast as possible

NL10:

BRM

SHC

Stack: Raise size (raise behind)

Train your discipline, follow the rules

Understanding why sticking to the theory is best

Create a blog – Make a studyplan/arrange your playing times

Post hands (as many as you can)

NL25:

Equity

Odds

(Hidden) Outs

Potodds

Implied odds

Discounted odds

How to play in a freeplay situation, considering potbuilding and pot control.

calling pocket pairs

Table-selection

In general:

Never get too much learning material, as learning some things really good always beats learing a little bit of everything.

Start out with 2 tables and never play more then 6 (unless you need to quickly get a bonus or something)

Talk about why you play a hand the way you do, or at least ask why you should play a hand as someone has advised.

Follow Basic SSS coachings!!!

Borrowed it from a download i got from one of leo's coachings hope he doesnt mind. Make sure you go to them they really help.
      Thank you!!! I found this Leo post, and I send a few questions to him...
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Hi phullhand,

As I have made a minor mistake in learning as much as possible, I think it's the best for both you and your BR to keep your education limited to your current Limit and PS Level.

I can explain this by the way your opponent is playing, surely the majority of the NL20 / NL10 players are not aware of ''floating'' let alone knowing what fold equity is and such.

Leo's goals as told by Jmackenzie are the best ones to start with. If you rise up the limits you would be pretty much exploring the things yourself, ;)

Good luck at your tables on Titan or Mansion?
      - Gerv
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Hi Gerv, good to see you here! :) I follow your poker blog and it is very helpful most times!

Today I play in Mansion, but I'm concluding that was a big mistake. The platform is bad (slow client, inconsistent $ values on session browser, poor integration with Pokertracker), few players, ...

When I achieve all bonus I could have, the first thing I'm thinking to do is withdraw and put in PartyPoker. But first, I want to be sure that I'll not have the same problems of bad integration between Pokertracker and PartyPoker.

BTW, if you could give me a little more details about your career so far... when you felt that you should learn more theory? Please, don't get me wrong.. but I'm so exciting to see SSS working that I want to know how the people from PS build that strategy. I agree with you when you said that people from micro limits doesn't care about "almost anything"! But I want to be prepared (as better I can be) when I achieve higher limits...

best regards
    • Gerv
      Gerv
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phullhand
      BTW, if you could give me a little more details about your career so far... when you felt that you should learn more theory? Please, don't get me wrong.. but I'm so exciting to see SSS working that I want to know how the people from PS build that strategy.
      Sure, I will give a more detailed post about that. ;)

Pokertracker is fully integrated in PartyPoker, dont worry about that ;)
    • TribunCaesar
      TribunCaesar
      Bronze
      Looks like a great blog. Keep it up. I would bet that you will have a nice progress and climb up the limits due to your right attitude.
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      tnx for your incentive words TribunCaesar! :)

as you can see, for my lucky, today I don't have The Donk Charity Moment... :tongue:
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Hi folks,

after a few days my bankroll is now ~$190, so I officially reach a new NL level. Now I'm playing NL30 ($0.15/$0.30).
      First note about this level is: the higher limit, less tolerance to faults. I mean: when I played NL10 did some mistake and lost my stack it was easier to recover than now. So I guess that I'll not rise my bankroll so fast as I was doing until now. In the other hand I hope to do less mistakes :)

Today I decide to begin play SnG and tournaments. I will still play SSS mainly, but I'll try to take my chances in some tournaments. I think it will be good for my general poker skill, and with some lucky, it will be good to my bankroll also!
      Now I play something like 8 to 10 NL cash tables at the same time. Maybe I change to 4~6 and open 1 or 2 SnG tables.
      I'm confident that is the best way to play BSS on future.

And just to be clear, I really think that SSS is very profitable! This strategy is awesome if you follow it correctly. But today I can just play about 1~2/hours per day, and sometimes I don't have much tables options, first because of my time zone and second because Mansion is not very popular (I can guess why :evil: ).

I hope I can write my next post from the NL50 limit! ;)
    • anstaendig
      anstaendig
      Bronze
      Welcome to pokerstrategy!
      I hope you'll improve soon and go straight up the limits. Two things I want to mention. First of all please resize you screenshots to 800*XXX and second try go switch to BSS as fast as you think you're able to because there's a lot more value you can get.

I'm also blogging here, you can find the link in my signature!
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      @anstaendig tnx for you post!

First of all, I finally broke the $200 barrier!! It was not easy, but now I fell more confident.

bellow my results from 19-sep and 20-sep:

I was felling like Rocky Balboa when I drop -$30 on a few hands :D

as I said, I'm having some difficult to play NL30, so I decided to stay manly in NL20 (with a few NL30 tables in parallel). May afer 8-10K hands in NL20 I could do ahead on NL30.

Im using PT regularly for all my sessions.. I costumize the HUD to show only VP$IP and Hands (total hands played until this moment.).
      So, when I have a hand/position where I should fold if raised before, I look for VP$IP statistics of this player, and if he is a looser (VP$IP > 40) I push my money and pray to him do the same! :)
      And on the other hand, if I receive a reraise from a tight player (VP$IP <10), and I have hands like AK, JJ, TT or bellow, I fold.

I'll try to make a PT report to see if this approach is working.

And my frist impressions about SnG/Tournaments was very good!!
      I play 4 tables: won 2 of 3 x $2+0.20 and won 1 of 1 x $5+0.50.
      Im playing Double it or nothing in Mansion. It means that the first 5 players will receive the same value, doubling the buyin value. When I said that I won, means that I finish between the first 5 people. This 5 receive the same prize... but on my very first SnG table I really finished in 1st.
    • 1seednoir1
      1seednoir1
      Bronze
      nice blog man...
      you should give me your screenname... i'll be playing there all the time...
      I should fallow ur path... right now i'm down 60$ in 2days
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Do you believe in conspiracy theory? Can you please explain it to me?

1st hand of $5+$0.5 SnG: KK vs AA - lost all in

me vs villan

QQ vs A9o - lost $6.27
      AQs vs TT - lost $5.23 (I push after see an A on flop)
      AQo vs AKo - lost $4.78 (I push after see A on flop)
      AKo vs 55 - lost $3.90 (I push after see A on flop)
      JTs vs JJ - lost $5.25 (I was SB and push after see T95 on flop)
      JJ vs AKs - lost $4.65
      53o vs A7s - lost $4 (I was SB and push after see 3AA on flop. Ok, I was tilted)
      AJo vs KTo - lost $3.7 (I push after see TJT on flop)
      KK vs AKo - lost $4.08
      JJ vs AA - lost $3.7
      QQ vs A7o - lost $3.4
      AKo vs 77 - lost $2.8
      AJo vs 77 - lost $1.85
      AKo vs K2s - lost $1.85

So 1 seednoir1, I hope you not follow my path :P hehehe
      Yesterday my bankroll was $230, now after 3.5hs and 1100 hands I have $190...

BTW, another good advice: turn off PT Hud if you are tilted...
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      I forgot to say that my screenname on Mansion is PHullHand_BR, and yours?
    • phullhand
      phullhand
      Bronze
      Hi,

I needed almost a week to recover my original bankroll.. I have to use some kind of "stop loss" break to make these bad runs not so hard to recover.
      Basically now I'm playing NL20 SSS without any stats. I'm thinking in turn stats on again just when I move to NL30. Supposedly I can play NL30 now, because my bankroll is ~$250, but I decide to move just when I achieve $300 or 10K NL20 hands.
      Something important was my SnG tables... they was a big support on my recover, representing almost 30% of entire profit of this week. I'm playing "$5+$0.50 Double it" tables. I thought that these kind of tables would attract more fishes than regular tables.. and it is proving that I'm right. :) And at this time enter on a table with $5.50 and left with $10 sounds pretty good to me!! ;)

Last 4 days NL20 graph:

The Donk Charity Moment

$0.1/$0.2 No Limit Holdem
      9 players
      Converted at weaktight.com

Stacks:
      UTG zap1212 ($9.18)
      UTG 1 suechtelmaus ($3.70)
      MP1 Ataegina ($5.60)
      MP2 bladejer ($20.31)
      MP3 kukumar ($17.80)
      CO Zoutzuur ($12.95)
      BTN yram82omaet ($20.57)
      SB Aodesai ($22.80)
      BB Hero ($4.00)

Pre-flop: ($0.30, 9 players) Hero is BB T: T:
      3 folds, bladejer calls $0.20, 4 folds, Hero raises to $1, bladejer calls $0.80

Flop: :2c: :5h: :2d: ($2.30, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1.40, bladejer calls $1.40

Turn: :9c: ($5.10, 2 players)
      Hero bets $1.60, bladejer calls $1.60

River: :5c: ($8.30, 2 players)

Final Pot: $7.70
      bladejer shows: J: :5s:
      Hero shows: T: T:

bladejer wins $7.70 ( won $3.70 )
      Hero lost -$4.00
    • Dragar
      Dragar
      Bronze
      Yeah those tables rule....
      defeat 3 players, get 5$

Just discovered them too. Started with 1$, moved up to 2$ already.. will probably start playing with 5$ soon.

Haven't lost so far, but haven't played that many either.

I think they are a very good way to improve your BR if combined with other things. By themself it can also go pretty wrong if variance goes bad or so.