Snap Shove ATC

• hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Chapter One: Micro Madness! (26th July 2013 - 19th September 2013)

Hi everyone!

My name's David, I'm a 21 (22 in a couple of weeks!) year old guy from Liverpool in the UK, who loves whittling away time shouting at his monitor about how that luckbox on his right hit a two outer yet again :P

This isn't my first blog here, I had a couple of fairly shortlived blogs playing other game types: I started in 2NL cash and worked my way up to 10NL (not exactly dizzying heights but still progress :P ), eventually getting bored and trying out HU SnGs, first normal speed, then hypers. Eventually I went a bit stir crazy from the hypers, with such high variance and little feeling of tangible progress, so I withdrew some of my roll and decided to take a break, only playing the occasional MTT every now and then.

It is this interest in MTTs that has brought me to where I am now. I started taking MTTs a bit more seriously, and realised how many holes I had specifically in my MTT game. Since then I've worked to plug these leaks, have put a lot of effort into improving ...my initial BR is around $150, and the lowest 180s on Stars are $2.50 (bar the hypers, which I'm staying away from :P ), I'm basically confined to the 90s until I can bring my BR up. Time to get my grind on!

I'll mix in the odd large field MTT too, because MTTs are for winners, but I'll keep the buy-ins at a maximum of 1% of my BR. BR nits gonna BR nit.

I will try to keep this thread updated regularly, shooting for once major round-up post per week, with some smaller posts thrown in between, as per my first blog. Unfortunately, due to having a job, a house, and everything that comes with that, my volume could generously be described as lacking, and ungenerously described as utterly atrocious. We all have to start somewhere though, right? :P

tl;dr:
      • $150 to start
      • playing $1 turbo 90s
      • mixing in $2.50 180s once my BR hits 500
      • my volume is crap

Thanks for reading (even if you just read the tl;dr :P ) and I hope you enjoy your time here. Good luck at the tables!

Chapter Two: Lowstakes Lunacy! (20th September 2013 - Present)

Hello again!

A quick recap of our story up to this point: I was grinding out $1 90s at a snail's pace, and squeezing out a small profit. Then I managed to luckbox a WCOOP ticket, and then even more surprisingly, I finished 15th in the event for ~$3.8k, when my BR at the time was ~$250.

I've withdrawn around half of the money, leaving me with 2k on the dot. Firstly, it gives me a sense of reward for my achievement. Secondly, I force myself not to move up in stakes too quickly by reducing the potential games I can play with my BR (and trust me I'm not going to run off playing $100 games and spewing everywhere :P )

This roll is enough for me to start playing games in the $5-$20 range, which is probably enough for me to legitimately say I'm now in lowstakes rather than micros (hurray!) :P At this point, my bread and butter games are most likely going to be the $8 180s. The $2.50s are way too low for my BR, and from what I've heard the $3.50rs are tougher and end up costing more to buy-in overall than the $8s, since the addon seems pretty much obligatory and you'll end up rebuying in many of the games you play.

These 180s will be supplemented by MTTs in the $5-$20 BI range. This BR opens up the door to a fair number of daily big and hot turbo tournaments that I like the look of, as well as the Sunday Storm.

I'm not really sure what my long term goals are at this stage, I'll just play, hope I can score some profit, and see where to go from there :)

Good luck at the tables!
  • 10 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey David

Welcome back to our blogging section. Hope all goes well with the MTT grind.

Regards,
      Luke
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Thanks very much :)

I'm currently at 33 played so far this week with ~$17 profit so not doing too badly at all so far, gonna get some more volume in today and see if I can keep this going.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Weekly Update

Excellent start I'm pleased to say, not necessarily in terms of volume but definitely in terms of results, up ~$30 in ~50 tournaments. I threw a few large field MTTs in with the 90s but bricked almost all of them lol, maybe I should give them a miss for the time being and focus all my volume on 90s :P Running at 61.2% ROI overall, 87.3% exclusively for 90s. [ ] sustainable.

I'm pleased with how I'm playing in most spots, although two things of note that I can improve on.

1) is autoshoving small PPs in EP vs a tight table while I still have a 15-20bb stack just because I'm looking to flip. There are situations where I think a shove is fine here, but there have also been times when I've shoved, then immediately thought "No, I can find a better spot here" since I'm often crushed when called, and I'm better off shoving the button next orbit with my rags since the nits in my blinds will only call with 88+ AJ+ anyway :P On tight tables I can bide my time just stealing from SB, BTN and CO vs nits to sustain my stack rather than looking for the first opportunity to flip.

2) is being too aggressive when shoving to pick up dead money from limpers. Several times I've had some 35/6 fish limp it up from EP, folds round to me on the button with 17bb and K9o, the blinds are both nits and there's 20% of my stack in dead money so I shove. Fish calls me with A4s and holds, I inwardly berate the guy for limp calling a hand like that. But really it's my own fault for getting in this spot; looking the average fishes limp range, I'm usually going to be up against non premium Ax, broadway hands, and sometimes (but not always) small PP and weak kings. Most people limping Ax aren't going to fold it to a shove, same with their broadways and PPs, so when I shove vs a guy limping these kinds of hands I get very few folds, and I'm either flipping or in crappy shape vs most of his range, best I can hope to see is QJ/QT/JT, which won't happen all that often.

So tl;dr for 2), have a hand that actually plays decently vs someone's limp-calling range before shoving to pick up that dead money.

90s graph:

Overall graph:

Bankroll: $178.91 (+$31.48)

One last thing, don't try to bluff me:

Poker Stars, $0.91 Buy-in (2,500/5,000 blinds, 500 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 2 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: 54,644 (10.9 bb)
      Hero (SB): 80,356 (16.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A 8
      Hero raises to 10,000, BB calls 5,000

Flop: (21,000) Q 3 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets 10,000, BB raises to 44,144 and is all-in, Hero calls 34,144

Turn: (109,288) 5 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: (109,288) J (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results:
      109,288 pot
      Final Board: Q 3 9 5 J
      BB showed 8 7 and lost (-54,644 net)
      Hero showed A 8 and won 109,288 (54,644 net)
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      It's my birthday on Tuesday, decided to fire up a little session today. Looks like the poker gods have given me my birthday present early :f_grin:

• hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      (Delayed!) Weekly Update

Apologies for the greatly delayed update, I had my birthday and my girlfriend's birthday in consecutive weeks as well as work, so I've been busier than usual, plus I've been greatly distracted by League of Legends :P But I have gotten some games in and I've been crushing pretty hard since my last update, without even running super hot.

I've tightened up in terms of shoving small PPs from EP (unless sufficiently short/abusing bubble) and dead money shoves with crappy holdings, I may end up missing out on a couple of thin spots here and there, but ultimately such plays often end up being -EV or so barely +EV that they're not worth taking, especially since the vast majority of players defend their blinds way too tight, so I like to abuse my button :)

Graph since last update:

Total graph:

Bankroll: $217.65 (+$38.74)

BTN vs BB 3 handed

Poker Stars, $0.91 Buy-in (1,500/3,000 blinds, 300 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 3 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BB): 24,447 (8.1 bb)
      BTN: 20,038 (6.7 bb)
      SB: 90,515 (30.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T K
      BTN raises to 19,738 and is all-in, SB folds, Hero calls 16,738

Flop: (41,876) 3 8 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      Turn: (41,876) 3 (2 players, 1 is all-in)
      River: (41,876) 9 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Wanted some feedback on this hand, as I wasn't sure about this one, ended up tank calling it. SB is pretty nitty although they've opened up a bit now we're 3 handed, BTN on the other hand is more aggro and is stealing a lot. The last two orbits have just been whoever has had the button shoving and the blinds folding out. Here we have a button shove again as expected and I wake up with an okay hand, but unsure how to proceed. BTN had shoved 3 buttons in a row now so his range is super wide, and even if he's only shoving J/Q/K/Ax and pairs and just happens to have had one of those every time, KT has 54% equity vs that range so the call is +EV. If his range is actually ATC, my equity is close to 60%. But since the chip leader has us decently outchipped and BTN and I are both super short, does ICM dictate that I'm supposed to fold here and just try to move up to 2nd place? I'm not 100% sure, hence why if any SnG/MTT players have any thoughts on this, feel free to share them :)
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Weekly Update

Not a whole lot to say, low volume week again, but staying in profit so that BR is growing slowly but surely, can't really complain! :P

Weekly Graph:

Overall Graph:

Bankroll: $234.42 (+$16.77)
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Weekly Update

Had a nice surprise this week! Entered two of those giveaway tournaments on Stars, one cash, one WCOOP one, managed to bag a $109 ticket! :) So I'm playing the event next Saturday, wish me luck!

As for the 90s this week, another stupidly low volume but nonetheless still profitable week, up three figures now I'm happy to say :)

Weekly Graph

Overall Graph

• hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Weekly Update

That WCOOP event went pretty well!
    • xHobox
      xHobox
      Bronze
      GL man I'm also grinding a roll for the 180 mans. Will be following
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      I've been getting thoroughly destroyed so far, played ~35 180s and ~15 MTTs and I'm getting smashed so hard, in 180s I've only made one FT (8th) and 2 mincashes, bubbled (28-30th) 4, usually in spots where I'm at avg stack and get in a flip/60-40 and lose. I understand that 180 variance can be sick, especially in turbos, but it is nonetheless extremely demotivating to be constantly losing at a stake I've just started playing, as I don't even know if I'm playing at a standard that would make me a winner at this level. Tbh the play doesn't feel much better than the $1 90s, there are less droolers stacking off randomly at level one with bottom pair, but the shortstack play is pretty similar, though some players will call you off lighter from the blinds. I've spotted a couple of shoves that I think are questionable by me, but 90%+ of them seem standard. Maybe I suck, maybe I'm just running bad close to/just into the bubble, idk.

I'm in two minds right now, either I keep on grinding a game that I'm possibly a losing player in, in the hope that I'm a winner on a super standard downswing, or I go play some other game type instead, like HU SnGs. I don't like the first option because if I have another week like I've had so far it's going to completely cripple my confidence, but on the other hand I don't like the second option in case I'm quitting a game type that I could be a winner in.

Anyone have any advice/thoughts (besides "man up and grind some more", though that is valid I suppose :P )?