This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [FR] NL25 A8s 25.07

• UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      Full Tilt - $0.25 NL - Holdem - 8 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $25.00 (VPIP: 13.92, PFR: 11.63, 3Bet Preflop: 4.71, Hands: 21,061)
      UTG: $15.08 (VPIP: 24.58, PFR: 10.17, 3Bet Preflop: 8.70, Hands: 121)
      UTG+1: $24.68 (VPIP: 21.82, PFR: 13.64, 3Bet Preflop: 2.44, Hands: 222)
      MP: $23.25 (VPIP: 48.70, PFR: 38.26, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 117)
      MP+1: $25.00 (VPIP: 11.64, PFR: 7.41, 3Bet Preflop: 3.41, Hands: 193)
      Hero (CO): $26.60
      BTN: $24.71 (VPIP: 13.87, PFR: 4.19, 3Bet Preflop: 3.10, Hands: 314)
      SB: $36.01 (VPIP: 15.03, PFR: 9.80, 3Bet Preflop: 2.42, Hands: 2,429)

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has A:diamond: 8:diamond:

fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.62, fold, fold, BB calls $0.37

Flop: ($1.34, 2 players) K:diamond: 2:spade: 5:heart:
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.67, BB calls $0.67

Turn: ($2.68, 2 players) 6:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.50, BB calls $1.50

River: ($5.68, 2 players) 8:club:
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.25, fold

bb

I'm studying the book Small Stacks NL Holdem by Ed Miller. In the book is example about A high flop. Probably I can play with the same pattern K high boards like A high boards.
      'Your opponent called your flop continuation bet and you didn’t
      improve on the turn.

...This is a straightforward situation to give up.'

In this example we improved on the turn so I decided to fight for this pot by betting the turn. If we check turn, probably we aren't able to win this pot because any Kx would call the bet on the riv if we play bet-check-bet. By betting we build bigger pot and we are able to force Kx to fold.
      Villain would have hard time to call 3 barrels w/ Kx on this kind of board. We representing many hands like sets K, 2, 5, 6, many 2pairs combo K2, K5, K6, 56 even any 2 pairs combo, straights 43 etc.
      Villain range is restricted to sets 2 and 5 and KQ, KJ, KT.
      What do you think?
  • 8 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi UnknownJoseph,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: I would cbet larger on all streets, especially when you upped your amount on the river anyway.

So what range do you expect villain to fold on the river? DO you really expect a KQ to fold? How about JJ?

As a side note, what's his WTSD over that big sample?
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      wtsd 23%

I expect that he folds 77-JJ on the turn. He can call with this stuff on the flop but it's hard for him to call it on the turn.
      So probably on the river he holds KT+ and sets? but I think sets would x/r on the turn.
      Yes I expect that he folds KT+ and it's a reason why I decided to bet on the river.

This hand is a test, too try something new because it's not my habit to 3 barrels with bluffs.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by UnknownJoseph
      wtsd 23%

I expect that he folds 77-JJ on the turn. He can call with this stuff on the flop but it's hard for him to call it on the turn.
      So probably on the river he holds KT+ and sets? but I think sets would x/r on the turn.
      Yes I expect that he folds KT+ and it's a reason why I decided to bet on the river.

This hand is a test, too try something new because it's not my habit to 3 barrels with bluffs.
      I don't think many guys will fold JJ on the turn to your barrel on that blank TBH.

They should fold to 3-barrels though.

As far as Kx is concerned I would say that the stronger ones KJ/KQ and even AK won't really fold the river.
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      I'm a little surprised what you said, seriously.
      so probably is it worth to bet on the turn?
      Betting on K-high ragged flop probably is correct but what about later street?
      I know that I don't have to be balanced on NL25 even on NL100 too but how to be?
      On the turn probably I would bet sets and Kx with stronger kicker even against this player I would check back many Kx so when I bet on the turn I'm betting with super strong range and it can be easy to exploit because when I bet turn on ragged A, K high board I have nuts.

so what happened that he folds?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I'm a little surprised what you said, seriously.
      so probably is it worth to bet on the turn?
      Betting on K-high ragged flop probably is correct but what about later street?
      I know that I don't have to be balanced on NL25 even on NL100 too but how to be?
      On the turn probably I would bet sets and Kx with stronger kicker even against this player I would check back many Kx so when I bet on the turn I'm betting with super strong range and it can be easy to exploit because when I bet turn on ragged A, K high board I have nuts.

so what happened that he folds?
      You did 3-barrel so he folded some 2nd pair type hand or a weak Kx if he had that.

But before we answer the rest of your questions flip the scenario on it's head.

You have KQ and face the bets that were made. Do you fold flop, turn or river?
      You have JJ and face the best that were made (pay attention to bet sizes). Do you fold flop, turn or river?

And try to justify each action.
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      With KQ I would call flop and call turn and I would have very tough decision if he bets again but I think that I would fold it

With JJ I prefer 3betting preflop. I don't want to spots like this oop. It's hard spot for JJ but probably fold turn to 2nd barrel.
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      up
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      With KQ I would call flop and call turn and I would have very tough decision if he bets again but I think that I would fold it

With JJ I prefer 3betting preflop. I don't want to spots like this oop. It's hard spot for JJ but probably fold turn to 2nd barrel.
      So if you fold KQ on the river, what's your calling (or raising range) on the river?

3-betting JJ preflop BB vs CO is fine when you can do it for value.