This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] When I called MP3 were the odds correct

• Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      When I entered the pot I was pretty happy with my raise. I missed the flop but had a nut flush draw. But the raise by MP3 made me fear he had a queen.

The call by the BB made the size of the pot worth me calling - I think?

Could someone please comment on whether I was mathematically correct to call this? I know I won the hand but I am more interested on whether it was the correct play?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand
  • 5 replies
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      The problem with calling in a spot like this is that your implied outs (Your chance off getting payed when hitting your draw)

Usually a check raise on those limits = 2p or better in like 95% of the time.

Personally I would just fold to the check raise as it's super strong to make it in a multiway pot. I am to lazy to make the math now.

A question for you tho! Would you still stack off with your set when the fourth flush card comes down?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Your are calling 16 more to win 79. Pot odds = 16/79 = 20%. So definitely more than enough to justify calling here, even when hitting your draw is going to be obvious.

The question though, is why didn't you raise preflop? This is a pretty easy raise to 20-24 cents before the flop.

Thanks.
    • Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      Many thanks for your answer, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Your question about my raise pre-flop. I did raise pre-flop by 2BB, 0.04 cent in total simply because I was first to act and figured AJ wasn't super strong.

20-24 cents would have been 10-12xBB - Is that the kind of raises I should be making on these low limit tables from early position with AJ? I am sure it would do the job of knocking out the drawing hands but would it kill all action?

Thanks again
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      ah ok I thought u were in BB and I thought this was 2/4. My bad - Wanted you to make an iso-raise of 6BB :)

Just raise it up to 3-4BB. By making it so small, you are encouraging multiway action, with 5 players left to act behind you. I don't like it because it's just much harder to win in a multiway pot, unless you have a hand that's trying to hit a big hand on the flop (like a set). Since this is 1/2cents and this is probably the limit where everyone is ultra-loose, 8 cents is my preferred raise size.

It's always good to raise to a size where you expect to get 1-2 callers at the very most.
    • Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      Thanks for your guidance - still at the very start of the learning curve
      :P