[NL20-NL50] When I called MP3 were the odds correct

• Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      When I entered the pot I was pretty happy with my raise. I missed the flop but had a nut flush draw. But the raise by MP3 made me fear he had a queen.

The call by the BB made the size of the pot worth me calling - I think?

Could someone please comment on whether I was mathematically correct to call this? I know I won the hand but I am more interested on whether it was the correct play?

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand
  • 5 replies
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      The problem with calling in a spot like this is that your implied outs (Your chance off getting payed when hitting your draw)

Usually a check raise on those limits = 2p or better in like 95% of the time.

Personally I would just fold to the check raise as it's super strong to make it in a multiway pot. I am to lazy to make the math now.

A question for you tho! Would you still stack off with your set when the fourth flush card comes down?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Your are calling 16 more to win 79. Pot odds = 16/79 = 20%. So definitely more than enough to justify calling here, even when hitting your draw is going to be obvious.

The question though, is why didn't you raise preflop? This is a pretty easy raise to 20-24 cents before the flop.

Thanks.
    • Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      Many thanks for your answer, it was exactly what I was looking for.

Your question about my raise pre-flop. I did raise pre-flop by 2BB, 0.04 cent in total simply because I was first to act and figured AJ wasn't super strong.

20-24 cents would have been 10-12xBB - Is that the kind of raises I should be making on these low limit tables from early position with AJ? I am sure it would do the job of knocking out the drawing hands but would it kill all action?

Thanks again
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      ah ok I thought u were in BB and I thought this was 2/4. My bad - Wanted you to make an iso-raise of 6BB :)

Just raise it up to 3-4BB. By making it so small, you are encouraging multiway action, with 5 players left to act behind you. I don't like it because it's just much harder to win in a multiway pot, unless you have a hand that's trying to hit a big hand on the flop (like a set). Since this is 1/2cents and this is probably the limit where everyone is ultra-loose, 8 cents is my preferred raise size.

It's always good to raise to a size where you expect to get 1-2 callers at the very most.
    • Craigsy633
      Craigsy633
      Bronze
      Thanks for your guidance - still at the very start of the learning curve
      :P