Poker as a video game.

• thirit2
      thirit2
      Basic
      Think that you don't care about money, think that it's like you just play a video game and u will level up once you have 100$ and later on 200$, don't focus on money focus on improving and go higher and higher. So would it be better to think poker as a game? And if we are serious gamer.
  • 10 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey thirit2

I've also contemplated this. It basically is like a video game imo. The only downside is that you don't get that immediate feedback that you get with video games that makes it so addicting at times. If you can't beat a boss/level in a video game you can be very sure why within a very small amount a time (half hour -a few hours) which doesn't happen in poker.
    • GLCosta
      GLCosta
      Bronze
      I have also thought about this and a way to trick my brain by doing goals as in a video game.

Something like: do 1000 tourneys in a month and its a boss that you have conquered

Release a bonus on pokerstars and another boss down

In a day that you are rested and calm try to do 100 tourneys (lvl up with this one)

Every time that you move up limits its a level up. Moving down limits its equivalent to a death and a experience loss like in a RPG

huumm I think i will think about more rules for this and incorporate them in my blog hehehe

P.S.- I wont set any goals about money because its the money that i dont want to remember :P
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Not true if you are a massgrinder!
    • GLCosta
      GLCosta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Saren113
      Not true if you are a massgrinder!
      What do you mean?
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Having replaced video games with poker, there are definitely a lot of similarities.

What a great idea GLCosta! Getting achievements for successfully completing session goals would also be pretty cool.
    • Jmm256
      Jmm256
      Basic
      I actually prefer to not think of it as a video game, I don't think I care as much if I lose at a video game and put in less effort :)
    • GLCosta
      GLCosta
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Jmm256
      I actually prefer to not think of it as a video game, I don't think I care as much if I lose at a video game and put in less effort :)
      That depends on one factor: "Are you a Hardcore gamer?" :P
    • GLCosta
      GLCosta
      Bronze
      I can already imagine:

Win a all-in against another and a sound pops up "Head Shot"

Win a all-in against several players and a sound pops up "Multi kill" :P
    • akasoul
      akasoul
      Bronze
      If you think on money as points you will feel like you are in a videogame, for me is that way.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      so many skill sets between competitive video games transfer.

eg, elky, demidov, nanonoko

all play(ed) video games competitively. Therefore I think this is a good analogy.

I think what it boils down to is competitiveness and having that mindset to continually improve and get better. For instance, there are also many sports stars who have transferred similar skills / mindsets to poker:

boris becker, phelps, (i guess patrick antonius since he used to be a tennis coach didn't he?)