Doubling my winrate: a 6 max blog

• ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Hi guys.

This is going to be a blog following my progress on Gordon's 6 max 'Double your win-rate' course available at his website (and hence the blog will be cross posted here and there). Like many others here, I've been influenced by Gordon's logical and no bull-shit approach to poker, and his emphasis on the small fundamental changes you can make to your game in order to make those $$$. I was tempted by his heads up master mind course, but since times ahead require a rather consistent stream of income (and I play poker -- the irony!), I thought I'd go ahead and stick with 6 max and just try to improve (for now).

I've had several blogs here before, but never really kept them updated. And that's part of the reason why I've decided to take this course: I know that Gordon sets homework, and checks the blogs, and even offers a money back guarantee to those who demonstrate they have done everything they can to improve. I find it really hard to actually study when it comes to poker, preferring like everyone else to get on the tables and actually play. The result is, of course, that I rarely improve, and instead end up believing I play well when I run good, and play poorly when I run bad. It's time to achieve something.

I'm starting out at NL100, and mixing in some 200 when the tables are nice. If Gordon's course can help me improve my game 2-3bb/100, I'll be very happy. I hope that by the end of the year I will be a successful winning reg at NL400+, and perhaps will have made the transition to heads-up along the way. So that's it: I'm going to start with the first video today, and get playing. I'll add some additional back ground information below if anyone is interested.

Poker History

I started playing poker while I was at university last year, but never really took it seriously. I've always been a big gamer, so it instantly appealed to me as just another online game where I could try and get the highest score possible. I used to play NL2 with my flatmate, though whenever I made any money (or redeposited) we'd just end up throwing it all away playing martingale on micro stakes blackjack .. fun times.

After I finished uni, I decided that I'd like to give poker a proper try. For me, this was not a career choice: I want to return to study, and hopefully try and pursue an academic career. I have a place at one of the best unis in my country setup for next year, and will take it no matter how well I am doing at poker. But in the meantime, I want to achieve something: I want to work for myself, save some money, and learn some self-discipline and control.

So I started out playing MTTs, 88c SNGs and NL2 cash games in July 2012 on 888. Fortunately, I managed to bink a tourney and rolled myself to play NL10. Since then, it's been a turbulent year, trying to climb the limits while working part time so I could pay rent. I think it went something like this, in terms of going up and dropping down:

NL2 -> NL10 -> NL25 -> NL100 -> NL50 -> NL25 -> NL50 -> NL100 -> NL200

The jump from NL25 -> NL100 came as the result of scooping some big tourney wins, and hitting a heater. I was barely rolled for 100 (20 BI or so), but stuck it out for a month or so breaking even before dropping harshly back to 50. At this time (January 13), I was crazy tilted: I had thought I was awesome, and that I could quit my job and just play at 100 ezpk. When I lost a few BI and had to move down, I suddenly decided to play HU NL50 without any experience, chasing regs for games and generally being an idiot. I lost about half my bank roll in a week.

Since then, it's been a stead grind back. If I'm honest with myself: I've run good. But I do also believe I've got what it takes. I currently play on Stars, and there are some pretty decent regs here at 100. It's a constant challenge, but I'm going to make it to 400+, and save myself a pretty penny.

Graphs

Total winnings since I bought new PC (around the beginning of March):

Total winnings at NL100:

Total winnings at NL200 (limited sample):

Wish me luck guys!
  • 5 replies
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      First video about SB play done, and played some sessions today. Course seems good and can't wait to continue through it. Can't post homework today: it requires me to demonstrate situations where I opened SBvBB with trash, based on reads, but it was only decent 100 regs to my left today and not a single one with >65% fold BBvSB steal (probably due to my table selection, fish at my right). So, in this case, I have literally no examples. To be fair though, this wide opening of SBvBB was something I do often already, and have been doing for awhile (AJ talks a lot of similar stuff in his videos).

Towards the end of the session, I got tired and played a little tilted .. making some bluffs in marginal spots, and calling some c/r when I wasn't close enough to top of my range. Doesn't matter though. I will keep track of $ earned, like illidek, since I often enjoy seeing his sessions, and guess others might like to see mine.

Will hopefully be able to post examples for homework tomorrow and maybe film myself for the 15 minutes, trying to steal blinds (I think I do this when I've watched BU video also).

Good luck all.
    • BadBojo
      BadBojo
      Gold
      Subscribed. Good Luck!
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BadBojo
      Subscribed. Good Luck!
      Cheers dude.

Had a fairly decent session today: Sundays are always pretty nice. Got some hands for Gordon's homework, which I'll post tomorrow morning, and made some changes regarding my SBvBB play as a result of the first part of the course. I've adapted my opening sizes to different opponents, varying from limping with passive wide fish to 3xing vs. wide defending regs (with a stronger range, ofc). It doesn't make a huge amount of difference, but promotes constant assessment of my opponents.

Session was kind of standard, no crazy or stupid play on my part and no tilt. I've started playing in 2 hour intervals, taking an hour break in between for food/exercise etc. At the moment, I'm doing this 3x, so 6 hours total. Not feeling as tired when the evenings come, and definitely playing better because of it. Session stats:

• ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Watched the BU video and part one of the c-betting video today. The first wasn't so helpful, since like SBvBB I know how profitable it is to steal from BU, and adjust to different guys in these ways. The c-betting videos seem good though, and I've already caught myself going to make small bets, stopping, and hearing Gordon shout in my mind: no bull shit half pot bet, this guy doesn't fold, make it pot.

Decided to play some 200 today, and was greeted in first few hands with a lost flip AK<JJ and was annoyed. I still think of it as 2BI and this obviously means I'm a little money scared at 200 still (even though I'm easily rolled for it).

I also did something pretty stupid today: I found a huge stacked fish at 200, and had the jesus seat, so I sat and stayed in that game for about 5 hours with him. It was good at first, but after 2 hours or so (I had won a BI or something in this time) I started looking at forums, checking emails etc., and not concentrating. I was just waiting for good hands to isolate fish and play for stacks. This actually impacted my play at other tables massively, and I lost so many opportunities at fish table because of this "wait for monster and stack the whale" attitude. I think it kind of links to being money scared, since I saw this fish as being an easy way to win at 200 without having to play against the regs.

Long story short, I ended up dwindling away much of my winnings playing a long winded half arsed 6 hour session. In future I will stick to my breaks, and if the fish is huge, at least take 10-15minute breaks every now and then. I will be posting Gordon's homework tomorrow.

What do you guys think about villains range at river? He is unknown but standard competent/agg reg.

SB: $178.88 (89.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $200 (100 bb)
      MP: $205 (102.5 bb)
      CO: $210.76 (105.4 bb)
      BTN: $226.67 (113.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A J
      2 folds, BTN raises to $5, SB folds, Hero calls $3

Flop: ($11) A 2 T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($11) Q (2 players)
      Hero bets $8, BTN calls $8

River: ($27) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $18, BTN raises to $60, Hero calls $42

Session stats for today:

• ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Only played a little today. Was fairly standard, stayed at 100 and made a few BI. Played one stupid hand where I looked at guys stats, knew he folded often vs. my 3-bets (like, exploitable often), but still 3-bet and then jammed over his 4-bet with AQs. I convinced myself, despite empirical evidence, that he was light often since table was breaking and guys love to get in that last 3-bet/4-bet before they leave. This kind of read isn't reliable, and I should stick to looking at stats (he had AA).

Got kind of bored playing today and took afternoon off. Met gf in town, ate wagamamas (<3), then came home and chilled out playing some FFX with her. Will put in 6 hours tomorrow, for sure. Will post the homework hands on my other blog, since no need to clutter them here. Keep crushing guys.

PS: what do we do here? Raising just looks so strong, and we're going to get folds just so often. But with the flush draw, do we take a chance when it's a real part of their range? I guess we must raise here, but just call when rainbow. (BU was super fish, is why I over call here).

BTN: $248.04 (248 bb)
      SB: $100 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $113.38 (113.4 bb)
      MP: $191.40 (191.4 bb)
      CO: $100 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q J
      MP raises to $3, CO folds, BTN calls $3, SB folds, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($9.50) 9 T K (3 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $7, BTN calls $7, Hero plays it cool like: what? I ain't got shit.

Peace and fucking, yo.