raisw or call

• weakoida
      weakoida
      Bronze
      Hello I have a qiestion. I play nl 5c big blind. And the situation that keeps coming up is tjat its folded around to the button who makes a 3x open and I sit in the small blind with something like a middle pair 88, 99 or AJ or AQ. Should I generally raise or call in this spot?? I feel like raising is usually the berter option but im not sure. Thank you for your help!!!
  • 2 replies
    • thirit2
      thirit2
      Basic
      Originally posted by weakoida
      Hello I have a qiestion. I play nl 5c big blind. And the situation that keeps coming up is tjat its folded around to the button who makes a 3x open and I sit in the small blind with something like a middle pair 88, 99 or AJ or AQ. Should I generally raise or call in this spot?? I feel like raising is usually the berter option but im not sure. Thank you for your help!!!
      Depends on the player who plays the button, if he raises often all of those hands are raise, u can even 3 bet bluff with worse.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey weakoida, good question. but i dont think you should really be comparing mid/low PPs to hands like AJ and AQ in this situation.

with hands like 99-66 it is almost always best to just flat. with 55-22 it's often advised that folding is a pretty good option and there are good reasons for it, however i think on nl5 people will be bad enough to pay up so i still dont mind flatting these.

with AJ or AQ it really does depend, as thirit2 said. i'd say because people like to call 3bets IP you probably dominate a lot of that range when you have AQ so i like to have this as a default value 3bet/fold unless i know the guy is folding a ton. if the guy calls a lot then why not 3bet AJ as well for value? generally i think AJ is strong enough to call in most cases so that would be my default. but i really don't mind 3betting it as a sort of semi-bluff... just have to be really careful when you flop a pair.

the thing is there are different opinions on how we should play in the SB/BB when it comes to 3betting so imo you should do some research on 3betting in general and try to find the way that you think makes the most sense.

also i suggest coming along to one of the coaching sessions! they are really helpful and you can ask the coach about this topic and get a good response. there is a really good one on today at 3pm if you are available!

p.s. moving your thread to the NL boards :D