I need a bit clarity..

• teofiloatienza
      teofiloatienza
      Bronze
      Questions for Math:

HERO: UTG1 TT, MSS .80c @ 2NL raises .06

Everyone fold until MP raises .18

POT: .01+.02+.06+.18= .27

Hero: pot equity for calling: .12/(.12+.27)= .307(31%)

Villains 3-betting Range is: JJ+, AK

EQUITY:

Villain is 66.34
      Hero is 33.66

Does this mean I cannot fold this hand since Im getting good pot odds only 31%
      and my equity in hand is 33.66.. So since I cannot call due to stack, OOP can I shove even If Im behind here will it be profitable in the long run?
  • 6 replies
    • HypnoMarsu
      HypnoMarsu
      Bronze
      It might seem as though 4-betting TT is somewhere between break-even and slight +EV. But what you have not taken into account is that it is very high variance because at best your coin-flipping (AK) and otherwise you will lose (JJ+) about 80% of the time. Also at your stakes rake ridiculously high which will probably eat up all your potential profits and turn the play into -EV. This is assuming villains 3bet range stays the same.

My advice is stay tight and fold pre, especially in the micros.
    • teofiloatienza
      teofiloatienza
      Bronze
      Thanks mate, got it so just avoid situations w slight +EV? what about lets say AQ BB, and I got a raise/steal from SB I 3bet and he 4bet/shove? unknown villain
    • HypnoMarsu
      HypnoMarsu
      Bronze
      No problem! :)

I'm unfortunately gonna be boring and recommend you follow the charts and 3bet/fold your AQ in BB vs SB steal/4bet because he is unknown. Without info that is your best option.

That being said IF you have good post flop skills, folding AQ vs SB does seem quite nitty. So what can you do you do differently in BB vs SB? Well you can defend by just calling because you will close the action pre, you will have position and a strong hand vs a wide range but you won't have initiative. If your gonna try this I recommend you start with the AQs and keep on 3bet/folding AQo. And I can't emphasize this enough, this is strictly IP when your in BB and SB steals. You should NEVER defend a big ace hand passively OOP.
    • teofiloatienza
      teofiloatienza
      Bronze
      honestly Im having a hard time agreeing here :) Im at 2NL the more I dont have info against a player the more they can have a wider range in these spots.. I think there still more un-experienced player than good ones , I mean SB vs BB IMO.. and I think I can only do either go broke when I think Im ahead against his range or fold here.. but dont get me wrong I do understand your point.. Im thinking that AQ is too strong to 3bet fold here..

Thanks mate,
    • HypnoMarsu
      HypnoMarsu
      Bronze
      I agree with you that at 2nl you could play with the assumption everybody is an idiot until proven otherwise. However what you haven't perhaps thought of is the biggest mistake tendency at those stakes is calling bets and re-raises. 4betting mistakes tend to come from tilted players and maniacs. And if villain is an unknown he can be a:

1. a nit (doesn't make 4bet mistakes)
      2. a tag (same as above)

and the two most likely opponent type:
      4. a passive player (calls worse/better hands and 4bets premiums)
      3. a maniac (4bets mostly worse but also better hands occasionally)

and then there is the fact that everybody gets better hands than AQ. Personally I would rather do a cheap mistake early when I have no info than an expensive one. And once I have classified the player type, I would start attacking his mistakes. As you go up in stakes and players make less mistakes, it is better to assume that re-raises mean strength and play tightly (even nitty). Because folding is rarely a mistake and when it is, it is cheap. And IMO you might as well make this assumption in 2nl so that you don't develop bad (=expensive) habits that will keep you from climbing the stakes.

Just my (nitty) thoughts on unknowns :s_p:
    • teofiloatienza
      teofiloatienza
      Bronze
      All good bro, thanks for clarifying this :s_biggrin: