This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [FR] NL25 AKo ex.01 27.07

• UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      Full Tilt - $0.25 NL - Holdem - 7 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: $47.11 (VPIP: 11.39, PFR: 10.56, 3Bet Preflop: 2.34, Hands: 486)
      UTG: $25.13 (VPIP: 18.24, PFR: 8.43, 3Bet Preflop: 3.13, Hands: 9,639)
      UTG+1: $15.88 (VPIP: 19.44, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 36)
      MP: $71.53 (VPIP: 24.59, PFR: 15.57, 3Bet Preflop: 7.41, Hands: 123)
      CO: $14.39 (VPIP: 19.37, PFR: 11.68, 3Bet Preflop: 4.06, Hands: 736)
      BTN: $25.00 (VPIP: 15.38, PFR: 8.55, 3Bet Preflop: 2.50, Hands: 120)
      Hero (SB): $41.89

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has A:diamond: K:heart:

fold, UTG+1 raises to $0.75, fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $2.25, fold, UTG+1 raises to $15.88 and is all-in, Hero calls $13.63

Flop: ($32.01, 2 players) T:diamond: 8:heart: 8:spade:

Turn: ($32.01, 2 players) Q:heart:

River: ($32.01, 2 players) 9:heart:

utg

We need 43% equity and I'm looking for ranges for profitable call and it's hard.
      Let's say that villain pushs:

MP2 42.87% 30.56% 12.31% AdKh
      MP3 57.13% 44.82% 12.31% TT+, AQs+, AKo

It looks like that this spot is high variance and we should fold.
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

I think you should call the push. In my opinion if you are not willing to stack off, then perhaps you shouldn't even 3-bet in the first place.

Why is a 3-bet good here?
      1. You are in SB and in the SB it's often good to avoid calling as much as possible
      2. Villain seems loose, 19/17 is pretty loose for a FR player IMO. Maybe sample size isn't too accurate though...

But if let's say you were in the BB, and this situation comes up. If you don't want to stack off, then you can just call. No one said that you must always 3-bet AK, especially when you are always up against tight UTG opening ranges.

Thanks.
    • UnknownJoseph
      UnknownJoseph
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      I think you should call the push.
      but what about ev? what about equity?

do you expect that villain pushes with

http://www.pokerstrategy.com
      Equity Win Tie
      MP2 49.18% 38.86% 10.32% { AdKh }
      MP3 50.82% 40.50% 10.32% { TT+, AQs+, AQo+ }

In my opinion if you are not willing to stack off, then perhaps you shouldn't even 3-bet in the first place.
      but what about situation when we are favorite against calling 3bet range (villain calls dominated hand like KQ, AQ, AJ) but against his push we are underdog?

1. You are in SB and in the SB it's often good to avoid calling as much as possible
      Could you explain me why?
      I'm just guessing so maybe I'm wrong but we want to avoid calling as much as possible because we post just small blind so we don't have to defend as much often than from BB.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1. Whether to call the push

Pot odds = 42.6%
      Pot equity = Enough, based on your TT+/AQs/AK assumptions, which I feel is reasonable.

2. Whether to 3-bet in the first place

There are situations whereby there is a lot of uncertainty and this is one of them. Are you sure that he calls with a ton of worse hands? I don't think a good player is likely to call with AJ/KQ in these positions when you 3-bet vs a UTG raiser. Your 3-betting range here is just going to be really strong.

Also, are you sure about his 4-betting range? The fact that it seems pretty close based on our assumptions show that the 3-bet preflop may be a little too thin. We are not even sure if there's much value to be had in the first place, and also we are unsure whether we can call the push. If there's so much uncertainty, maybe you should just call since you are up against a tighter opening range.

3. Good spots to 3-bet something for value and fold to a 4-bet

This usually occurs vs loose and passive fish, who open wide and call 3-bets wide. But they could have a really strong 4-betting range. Let's say you are up against a 60/20 player. This is a good spot to 3-bet a hand like TT or AQ for value but if he does 4-bet you, then you are usually crushed vs his overly strong 4b range.

Basically, fishes are way more imbalanced with their strategies, whereas regulars tend to have greater balance with their 4-betting ranges which means that you should rarely 3-bet something for value and fold to a 4-bet. Hope that explains this point.

4. Why we should minimize our calling in the SB

If BB calls, you have to play 3-way OOP. That sucks. If he squeezes, that sucks too cos we would often have to fold. I guess with AK it isn't so bad because you can just back-raise all-in.

Thanks.
    • pawel0903
      pawel0903
      Bronze
      I suppose he is MSS and he has 60bb so I think his stackoff range UTG vs SB is crashing you.

I think calling preflop is fine. He's loose and you can easily dominate his hands like Ax, KQ and MSS usually stackoff top-pair postflop so implied odds are huge.

If he is not a MSS but rather random player I think 3bet/broke is fine.

Thanks