Heads-Up shoving ranges at the end of a SNG

• GeneralZod
      GeneralZod
      Bronze
      Hi there, I`ve just finished second in a $3 5 table SNG on Party Poker. I don`t have much experience HU and was wondering what the shoving ranges are.

The Blinds were at 2000/4000, can`t remember the antes and i went all-in(34,000 chips) with A4 of clubs. The other guy had me covered and knocked me out with J-6.

He took 6 pots on the trot by moving all-in pre-flop, should i hav called with hands like Q-5, K-2 etc

any advise would be appreciated, cheers :-)
  • 5 replies
    • bckdrflush
      bckdrflush
      Bronze
      His range is obviously very wide. I call with any A or K, so long as the kicker is higher than 6 I think. Any pocket pair, and some suited broadway cards (connectors)

Some hands are trickier to play and ICM gives them -$EV if the opponent range is between two values - say 20%-40% for J9o. I find J9o a difficult hand to play against pushers also - it's so tempting to call. I would probably fold J9o to a push unless I was short enough and blinds were getting big in comparison.

When you're first to act in a hand, try to adjust your range according to ICM (taking into account the difference in stack size, the blinds, and his calling range) You might be surprised what sng wizard would recommend you to push HU - which is probably what he's doing, but not knowing it most times.
    • curnow
      curnow
      Bronze
      anyone calling with J6 in HU is not very good & wont end up a winning player

few things about HU
      if you cant beat a player play lotto & hope your 35% gets lucky but in your case its closer to 45%

always play the player and develop diferent tatics depending on type of player you are up against , ie Rock = you bully , loose = you trap

take advantage of the button and in HU you need to be aggressive in position & remember they will only hit the flop 1 in 3 times ,

calling range , pretty much any A or K small raise and against push , two face cards , connected suiters , most mid pairs , good A or K
    • fun101rockets
      fun101rockets
      Bronze
      With those high blinds I would push with Q9 or better and call an all in with K2 or better. This is how I play heads up in $12 Sit and gos.
    • aleceiffel
      aleceiffel
      Bronze
      Sage is your friend !
    • cristy007
      cristy007
      Bronze