This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] NL25 Q9s 3bet pot, river spot - bluffcatching

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 3 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $14.29 (57.2 bb)
      BTN: $31.40 (125.6 bb)
      Hero (SB): $26.32 (105.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q 9
      BTN raises to $0.60, Hero raises to $2, BB folds, BTN calls $1.40

Flop: ($4.25) 2 Q 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.30, Hero calls $2.30

Turn: ($8.85) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4.40, Hero calls $4.40

River: ($17.65) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $22.70 and is all-in, Hero folds

-----

BU was 19/15/5 over 3.2k
      Ft3b - 59 (BU - 59), 4b - 10
      Bet vs missed CB: F - 66(29)
      AG% - 33 (38/33/15)

I have no notes on the villain :f_confused: but I have him marked as a weak regular which means that you can expect some random/illogical stuff from this player.

PREFLOP
      3bet bluff.

FLOP/TURN
      Went for a x/c line with my weak showdown value.

RIVER
      This guy is not aggressive on the river + he overbets + I don't expect him to value bet less than Qx = easy fold?
      However, flush draw missed.
  • 8 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Dawidas888,

Preflop: wrong forum :)

But why are you 3-betting hands like this when you can't really expect many folds? I rather not play an easily dominated Qx postflop OOP.

Postflop: As played just cbet flop without info, and you can ck/call turns to let him float.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan!

Thanks for the evaluation!

PREFLOP
      Sorry, didn't check before posting as I had both open :f_biggrin:

Another one of your trick questions, huh? :f_biggrin: Well, we can still get folds as he folds 59% of the time. So I can't just value raise in this spot as villain would start folding even more + Q9s plays well postflop OoP as I can do stuff with it.

POSTFLOP
      Well, I had info that villain stabs often enough on the flop when I check and that's why I check/called. Same reasoning on the turn, but maybe he wouldn't stab twice? However, he could value bet something like JJ-99 as villain was reasonably aggressive.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by Dawidas888
      Hi Bogdan!

PREFLOP

Another one of your trick questions, huh? :f_biggrin: Well, we can still get folds as he folds 59% of the time. So I can't just value raise in this spot as villain would start folding even more + Q9s plays well postflop OoP as I can do stuff with it.

POSTFLOP
      Well, I had info that villain stabs often enough on the flop when I check and that's why I check/called. Same reasoning on the turn, but maybe he wouldn't stab twice? However, he could value bet something like JJ-99 as villain was reasonably aggressive.
      So what's your 3-bet range here?

You can easily expect all the better Qx hands in his range when he calls preflop.

Sure Q9 is suited but you have better hands you can 3-bet with (extended value range + bluff range).
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi Bogdan!

PREFLOP

POSTFLOP
      So what's your 3-bet range here?

You can easily expect all the better Qx hands in his range when he calls preflop.

Sure Q9 is suited but you have better hands you can 3-bet with (extended value range + bluff range).
      Thanks for the response!

My 3bet range (SBvBU) is very wide -
      Extended value range - AT+, KJ+, TT+ - 9.5%
      Bluffs - A7-A2s, K8-K4s, Q9-Q8s, J9-J8s, T8-64s, 98-54s, 55-33 - 8.9%
      I call - A9-A8s, KT-K9s, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 99-66, KTo, QTo+ - 6.94%

I 3bet with a wide range because I want to exploit the fact that many players don't like to play 3bet pots or really suck at them + I don't care about $ at this point and I can study/learn/play and become better this way even if this is not the most +EV way to play in the short term :f_biggrin:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I see,

Now that I see the split of hands it makes a bit more sense.

Of course this is quite loose and i'm expecting to see a lot of spots where you have problems playing postflop. But as you said that's one (hard) way to study and improve :)
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      I took this range from Applications of NLH by Janda. You implied that this is a hard way to study, (without trying to sound like a person looking for an easy way out) I wonder what's the easier way (to study/improve)? :f_biggrin:
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      I took this range from Applications of NLH by Janda. You implied that this is a hard way to study, (without trying to sound like a person looking for an easy way out) I wonder what's the easier way (to study/improve)? :f_biggrin:
      By harder I mean that you will be working on so many aspects of your game that you will have a ton of difficult spots. Imagine playing big pots with wide ranges (which is what you are doing) compared to tighter ranges that most people have when they try to learn.

Ideally, I would recommend that you pick and choose what you work on so you increase the chance of succeeding without confusing yourself. From personal experience (after coaching hundreds of players) there's a very high chance of failure when too many things are being learned/experimented because a person has a hard time finding out what works and what doesn't.

For example, a player that plays 19/16 would have a hard time starting to play 27/24 over night. Small changes would be much better (so going to 21/18, 23/20, etc).

But of course, to each it's own and if this works for you then by all means keep doing it (you at least moved faster than most through the initial limits which indicates that this type of learning/study way may work).
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Ok, I understand what you mean. Thanks for all the help! A lot of my progress is thanks to your posts like this! :f_love: