How tight is too tight?

• Floppyriver89
      Floppyriver89
      Basic
      The best tip I've been given on playing Texas Hold'em is that position is really important so I've been trying to incorporate this into my game.

From early position it seems best to be extremely tight and only play premium hands so the other day I was playing a 9 man SNG and I was dealt 99 under the gun. It was only the second level of blinds but I folded and wasn't sure if this was the correct decision or not.

My reasoning was that had I raised and 1 or 2 people called they almost certainly would've been beating me if I didn't hit a 9 on the flop and I'd then be first to act. If there were any overcards on the flop then I'd be in a really bad position.

So was folding the right thing to do in this circumstance?
  • 6 replies
    • badgerer
      badgerer
      Silver
      i'm sure folding is wrong. doesn't the strategy say limp and call/20 to set mine here.

personally i don't reg sng's (havn't for years) but i advise you to go and revise the strategy articles because this is a pretty basic spot you should know what to do here without even having to think about it.

good luck.

edit: its well worth limping a pp to try to hit a set especially if you are expecting several callers because it increases your chance of someone hitting the flop and paying you off. but as a general rule when playing pp's in sng's no set = no bet.
    • Floppyriver89
      Floppyriver89
      Basic
      Cheers, that's exactly what I was looking for. I didn't think it was the right thing to do but I wasn't sure if raising would've been correct either.
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Thanks badgerer!

I've moved this post to the relevant forum board now guys!

Best regards,
      Gary.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      Hello,

I play FR sngs and KO tournaments on PokerStars.

It's incorrect to open push this hand durning the first two levels, but not incorrect if you limp/call small raise or raise yourself.

If I have stats on opponent, I would tend to raise rather than limp because we have initiative after the flop and can c-bet many flops.

During the first round 10/20 I would just 3x from UTG, rather than my normal 4x because I don't want to invest too much early on in the game.

If we fold 99 here then we are giving up value in my opinion.

Take Care,

Maythany
    • alloman
      alloman
      Black
      its too tight when u have hard time to stick it in

u can use oil
    • Itsnevereasy
      Itsnevereasy
      Bronze
      its too tight when u have hard time to stick it inu can use oil

+1