Changing play in $1 SnG and Heads- up Question

• MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      Changing play in $1 SnG and Heads- up Questions

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm firmly rooted in the $1 SnG's following SSS and BSS using the SHC after having a very successful start and at the end of my first week being +$25 of my starting capital had two really bad days where I just couldn't win or even place in a game taking me to -$20 of my starting capital. I was feeling pretty blue knowing that I had made a few mistakes yet strangely comforted by the many "bad beats" I had a day off and after dusting myself off returned to the tables and after two days of minimal play (around 5 SnG's a day) I am now -$9 starting capital.

So for my questions,

1. When playing at this level should I play a risky-a starting hand in earlier position (I noticed a lot of low pair raises and continuation bets with middle pairs and low suited pockets during my losing streak) to see if I hit anything on the flop when its "cheap" to do so.

2. This has been a bit of a thorn in my side, how should I adjust my play when down to the final three and more-so when heads-up I've been using the ICM trainer to help me with this but any tips would be most welcome.

Sorry if this should be in the beginners or my terminology is not quite right.

Thanks in advance

Matt AKA Mack
  • 3 replies
    • LuborC
      LuborC
      Bronze
      Hi MackPDaddy,

although I suppose it makes some sense playing like SSS or BSS in the early stages of a SNG there is a whole strategy section for SNG players and you should definitely read the articles in there and play accordingly. There are starting hands charts for the early and middle stage, too.
      Basically you should play very thight in the beginning and wait for the others to bust out. This way you will get closer to the money without having to risk anything. When the blinds increase so that you only have 13 or less BB start playing according to the ICM.
      I think you should read (or reread) the articles in the SNG section. After you have done that watch the SNG videos to see what the experienced (and long term winning) players play like and also visit the coachings there you can ask questions about anything that might not be entirely clear to you...
    • helemaalnicks
      helemaalnicks
      Bronze
      Hello Mack,

I strongly advice you to read and use the sng articles instead of the sss/bss NL articles. This is a special section for sng's at pokerstrategy, which is designed for sng's.

Thereby, when the blinds get higher, it's recommended that you loosen up considerably (which sometimes even means you have to go all in preflop, no matter what hand you are holding).

I also recommend you to visit one of the coachings about sng's. You can find different sng coachings in the coaching section. By looking at how the coaches play, and handle different situations, you can learn how to improve your game.

And last but not least, if you played a hand, but you are not sure whether you played it correctly, you can post the hand in the sample hand section of this site, where professional or semi professional players will look at the hand and give you advice about how you played it. You can find out how to post a hand here

Good thinking on making this thread, and asking these questions, and I hope I helped.
    • MackPDaddy
      MackPDaddy
      Bronze
      When I joined I read/watched all the basic and bronze articles and videos available to me and think I have confused myself, I will go back and re-read/watch all the SnG ones and check I have downloaded the right charts so I am focusing on the correct strategies for SnG's,

I managed to catch the last 20 minutes of coaching by "the N0se"the other day and found it very useful and hope to be able to catch a whole coaching session soon and may even be brave enough to ask a question or two .

I like to add that this is the friendliest poker forum I have ever been on, no one talks down or negatively to you and all the advice is both constructive and helpful

Thanks for all your help

Mack