This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 Zoom 97

• DavidNegranu
      DavidNegranu
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $7.22 (72.2 bb)
      SB: $10.65 (106.5 bb)
      BB: $10.35 (103.5 bb)
      UTG: $10.23 (102.3 bb)
      MP: $30.04 (300.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $34.01 (340.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 7 9
      UTG folds, MP raises to $0.30, Hero raises to $0.90, 3 folds, MP calls $0.60

Flop: ($1.95) K A 9 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.95) 7 (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $1.20, MP calls $1.20

River: ($4.35) T (2 players)
      MP checks, Hero bets $2.10, MP raises to $7, Hero folds

Results:
      $8.55 pot ($0.38 rake)
      Final Board: K A 9 7 T
      MP mucked and won $8.17 ($3.97 net)
      Hero mucked 7 9 and lost (-$4.20 net)

Villain is 23/19/8.8 over 104 hands.
  • 7 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi DavidNegranu,

Preflop: you are really deep here so you should expect lots of calls.

Postflop: As played just cbet the flop. Why do you check back?

The river bet should be larger and the bet/fold is close if villain is aggro. Remember you checked the flop so you almost never have a strong hand.

But since this is 10nl bet/folding is still probably better but I'd bet bigger.
    • DavidNegranu
      DavidNegranu
      Bronze
      I checked back the flop because that hit his calling range a lot and I didnt think a cbet would work often enough as a bluff and would very rarely get a better hand to fold, though TT which was the hand I was most afraid of on the river might fold flop to a bet.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DavidNegranu
      I checked back the flop because that hit his calling range a lot and I didnt think a cbet would work often enough as a bluff and would very rarely get a better hand to fold, though TT which was the hand I was most afraid of on the river might fold flop to a bet.
      So what's his calling range 300 BB deep?

Does it not hit OUR range better? After all you are the 3-better.

Why do you 3-bet bluff preflop if you are not going to even cbet boards that hit our perceived range?
    • Podmunkey
      Podmunkey
      Bronze
      Back to basics,

Why are you 3 betting with those cards in that position?

I'm no expert but i'm pretty sure if you make that move everytime you have those cards in that exact situation, you will lose a lot more than you make.

How much attention do you pay to stats and HUDs?

Sometimes I feel it's too easy to let them do the thinking for you and force you into hands you should even be in.
    • DavidNegranu
      DavidNegranu
      Bronze
      I dont know this specific players range since its zoom and playing him post flop is very rare given the player pool, but I think from what I have seen a general range would be AJ+, maybe KQs and pocket pairs and then some anomalies from fish. Given that he is 300BBs deep KQ and other random hands probably arent likely. It does hit our range also but I would expect to find it very difficult to get him to fold a hand better than ours. TT/JJ/QQ are the only ones. If we cbet the flop and dont improve would be go into check/fold mode against a relative unkown post flop? I normally would cbet but hitting the 9 put me off a little bit
    • DavidNegranu
      DavidNegranu
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Podmunkey
      Back to basics,

Why are you 3 betting with those cards in that position?

I'm no expert but i'm pretty sure if you make that move everytime you have those cards in that exact situation, you will lose a lot more than you make.

How much attention do you pay to stats and HUDs?

Sometimes I feel it's too easy to let them do the thinking for you and force you into hands you should even be in.
      3betting in position works really well in zoom because you are unkown to your opponents and people play so tight, not only are their calling ranges really tight, but their 4betting range is virtually non-existant as well as the fact that they expect you to be playing very tight too. This means you have a lot of fold equity pre flop and they also check fold a lot of flops if they called to set mine. That coupled with the fact that I occasionally make a hand with 97 means I feel like I show a decent profit here. I pay a lot of attention to stats and hud but as I said before, the player pool in zoom is so huge that playing the same opponent is rare and even rarer that you get into a hand with them post flop
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DavidNegranu
      I dont know this specific players range since its zoom and playing him post flop is very rare given the player pool, but I think from what I have seen a general range would be AJ+, maybe KQs and pocket pairs and then some anomalies from fish. Given that he is 300BBs deep KQ and other random hands probably arent likely. It does hit our range also but I would expect to find it very difficult to get him to fold a hand better than ours. TT/JJ/QQ are the only ones. If we cbet the flop and dont improve would be go into check/fold mode against a relative unkown post flop? I normally would cbet but hitting the 9 put me off a little bit
      The 9 does not have a lot of showdown value unless you can get there often.

And yes, some better hands will fold. I'm pretty sure that if the guy has at least KQs, KJs, KTs preflop he will call with them (since you are so deep).

And those can fold the flop. Ax does not fold and our goal should not be to fold those but rather to get him to fold TT-QQ, some Kx, and his equity in the pot (and hands that may bluff us).