[NL2-NL10] A7s vs check/raise

• jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      Hi,

this is my first time posting a hand review. I started dabbling a little with poker last year but getting married slightly got in the way :) I have been really getting into it this year however and have a few questions re: the hand below.

1) I had been having problems losing with high pairs with low kickers so started to fold a lot more of them. I am finding it difficult to judge when I am ahead or just being blown off the pot with a bluff or semi-bluff.

2) In the hand below I wasn't sure whether A8 fit in with the villains range and I was concerned that the big raise indicated full house or at least trips. I am finding judging ranges and when to fold on the flop the two most difficult aspects right now.

PokerStars - $1.29+$0.21|50/100 NL - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 24.08 BB (VPIP: 15.56, PFR: 4.44, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
      BTN: 13.45 BB (VPIP: 22.22, PFR: 13.33, 3Bet Preflop: 8.33, Hands: 45)
      SB: 24.6 BB (VPIP: 53.33, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
      BB: 37.77 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 4.44, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
      UTG: 15.2 BB (VPIP: 17.78, PFR: 9.09, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 45)
      Hero (MP): 19.9 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 7:diamond: A:diamond:

UTG calls 1 BB, Hero raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, BB calls 1 BB, UTG calls 1 BB

Flop: (6.5 BB, 3 players) 8:club: 8:heart: A:spade:
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets 5.15 BB, fold, UTG raises to 13.2 BB and is all-in, fold

UTG wins 16.8 BB

Any help with range estimation, bet sizing etc. would all be really appreciated. Any tips for self analysis would also be great.

Sorry if there are too many questions here.

John
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi jhulmie,

Welcome to the evaluation boards.

This hand looks like it was played in a tournament and on this board we evaluate only cash table hands. However, i will respond to the best of my ability.

My first recommendation would be to fold this hand preflop but if you raise it you can make it bigger.

As played, if you plan to bet/fold you should make a half pot cbet rather than a big cbet.

As a side note, when you leave a reply, make sure you hit the "advise judge to take another look" button.

Best regards,

Bogdan
    • jhulmie
      jhulmie
      Bronze
      Hi Bogdan,

thanks for the reply apologies for posting in the incorrect forum. Can anyone move the thread to the correct sit & go board?

What range of Ax hands would you recommend raising with?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by jhulmie
      Hi Bogdan,

thanks for the reply apologies for posting in the incorrect forum. Can anyone move the thread to the correct sit & go board?

What range of Ax hands would you recommend raising with?
      Considering the positions and stack sizes I would say that we want at least ATs.