This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 98s river spot - bluffcatching

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $24.15 (96.6 bb)
      SB: $30 (120 bb)
      BB: $32.72 (130.9 bb)
      UTG: $25 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP): $38.51 (154 bb)
      CO: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9 8
      CO posts BB OOP, UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.85, CO folds, BTN calls $0.85, 2 folds

Flop: ($2.30) 7 7 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.25, BTN calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.80) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $2.25, Hero calls $2.25

River: ($9.30) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4.75, Hero calls $4.75

-----

BTN was 56/11/0 over 9 - unknown, likely a fish.

FLOP
      Thin value bet.

TURN
      Opted to bluffcatch as I don't really see much more value in a bet.

RIVER
      96 got there, BDFD missed and a lot of draws missed. I think value hands could bet more and given the odds I'm getting I decided my call won't be super -EV + if I win I take money from a fish first to prevent others from doing it.
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey D,

Once you play your TP like this vs a fish, I think you have to call river because otherwise, betting turn is clearly +EV and then deciding river if it's still a vbet or to check/call, check/fold. Once you check the turn, you should only do it with the assumption you induce light bets.

In other words, when you say someone looks like a fish and you don't value bet top pair, you should be sure he goes too crazy by betting himself.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Emanuel,

Thanks for the evaluation!

As I understood, you are suggesting that I should value bet this turn by default vs a fish. However, aren't we value-towning ourselves as there's only very few combos of worse hands that could call us (66-44, 22 + 86s/85s/84s = 31 combos)? I would argue for the default play to be check/call (or check/fold). Could you elaborate more on why would you value bet this turn by default vs a fish? Is it because of many draws / other high equity hands?

Thanks again!
      David
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Yw!

Think about it more.. he is a fish.. what about T9, JT, A highs, 65? Do those fold? He floats flop often with BD flush, he probably has at least 5-6 flushdraw combos in his turn range imo. All of a sudden you realise his calling range is way wider than just pairs.

The default thinking against fish is that they don't fold so we shouldn't try to bluff them off their decent hands which is mostly true but that also means our mediocre hands go up a lot in value vs their range since they don't like folding. :)

Cheers.