This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 KK river spot - thin value betting

• Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $37.20 (148.8 bb)
      Hero (CO): $30.68 (122.7 bb)
      BTN: $14.70 (58.8 bb)
      SB: $16.64 (66.6 bb)
      BB: $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K K
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, SB calls $0.65, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($3) 2 9 9 (4 players)
      SB bets $1.50, BB folds, Hero calls $1.50, BTN folds

Turn: ($6) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $3, SB calls $3

River: ($12) 7 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $4, SB folds

-----

SB was 38/1/0 over 100
      AG% - 18 (16/21/18)

FLOP
      Calling as villain could donk worse PPs.

TURN
      Value betting vs those same worse PPs (b/f).

RIVER
      I wasn't sure whether to bet or not, decided to go for thin value (b/f) if PP wants to call. I figure I'm often value-towning myself but I guess villain wouldn't stop betting with a 9x OTT if he decided to bet OTF.

Maybe my sizing could be closer to 1/2 pot as now my bet looks like pure value.
  • 4 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi D,

You can also consider raising flop, bet turn, shove river. I actually prefer that line vs him because he is clearly a fish. I don't want him to get away from his like A8 that he thinks has showdown value then hits turn.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Hi Emanuel,

Thanks for the evaluation!

If we raise the flop, aren't we isolating ourselves vs 22/9x as #1 villain donks in a 4way pot and #2 there's still a BTN behind me who can wake up with 9x?

Thanks again!
      David
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      If BU calls, you just have a signal that he has a strong hand but SB donking this board can be from overs to A high and pairs.. 9x and 22 still possible for sure (but those hands often c/r so not all combos in his donking range) and it's usually a raise/fold but he doesn't bet/fold any pair imo and most of his pairs are scared by turn cards. The idea is to get them to pay off asap.

Calling is also fine though but then I like betting big on turn and river to get all in. I don't think he folds almost any pair there.. think about it.. would you turn a hand like QJ into a bluff here? If you think he folds pairs when you call flop and bet like this, it makes sense because you have 25% equity or so on the flop til river plus you can ofc bluff him on many runouts.

What I'm mostly going at here is that, if you think you cannot value raise and barrel off with KK, it means you think your opponent folds often therefore you should have a wide bluffing range as an adjustment. I think you get value but if you think you don't make sure you have the adjustment in mind.
    • Dawidas888
      Dawidas888
      Bronze
      Ok, thanks for the explanation!

So basically I need to close the gap in my mind between AA and 97 as I would always raise 9x but not AA and therefore miss thin value from PPs :f_biggrin: well spotted! Thanks!