This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] nl20 QJs

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      SB is a tight regular - 18/16 over 514 hands. When he’s in SB he folds to steal 91% and 3bets 5% so I expect his calling range to look more or less like this: JJ-66, AQs-ATs, KJs+, QJs, AQo, KQo. A relevant note for this hand is that he bluffed the river with a busted draw (no info on sizing).

On this flop I don’t really think he can have many hands that call and he’ll mostly have small PPs and overcards. If he does have Jx he probably beats QJ so I decided to check back and induce a stab on the turn or maybe a lighter call from something.
      On the turn he stabs as expected so I call – don’t think he’ll have any 9x in his range and flushes are pretty hard to make. I also expect him to be doing this with most of his air.

On the river I’m not too sure what to make of it – it isn’t really a nice card but at the same time his range is so tight I don’t think he has too many strong hands here and I think given that I have a pretty decent hand/bluffcatcher that could be potentially under-repped I decided to call here.

$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BB: $20 (100 bb)
      UTG: $21.81 (109 bb)
      MP: $25.24 (126.2 bb)
      Hero (CO): $20 (100 bb)
      BTN: $25.88 (129.4 bb)
      SB: $40.74 (203.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J Q
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.60, BTN folds, SB calls $0.50, BB folds

Flop: ($1.40) 7 9 J (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($1.40) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

River: ($3.40) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $2.40, Hero calls $2.40

Results:
      $8.20 pot ($0.41 rake)
      Final Board: 7 9 J 9 8
      Hero mucked J Q and won $7.79 ($3.79 net)
      SB showed Q A and lost (-$4 net)
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Lewis,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: The note that he bluffed busted draws before is actually pretty important here because we know he is capable of bluffing.

However, i still think that giving him free cards on such an ugly board is not great and I would still cbet. Thin value/protection and i don't mind taking the pot down and getting him to fold his equity.