This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] K9o 3b vs sb

• 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi.

Preflop: Don't 3-bet this, this is an easy call

Flop: Betting here is fine

Turn: Hmm with KQ I would definitely barrel the Turn. KT is close, don't mind barreling this too for thin value since he should probably be calling most JX combos. K9 is probably more of a check.

River: Easy call now. I don't check back top pair on Turn to fold rivers.

Thanks.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      Hi.

Preflop: Don't 3-bet this, this is an easy call

Flop: Betting here is fine

Turn: Hmm with KQ I would definitely barrel the Turn. KT is close, don't mind barreling this too for thin value since he should probably be calling most JX combos. K9 is probably more of a check.

River: Easy call now. I don't check back top pair on Turn to fold rivers.

Thanks.

I dont get it, why is call preflop better? I usually call with suited hands, and 3bet offsuited. I thought, that it is better to generate FE and take it down preflop, since he is probably loose when he opens 2bb. Then when he calls 3bet, I can still cbet flop or pot control if I hit.

I know that I have good odds to just call, but I find it difficult to play such a offsuited hands since I dont pick up too much equity postflop as with suited.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      this is definitely playable with a call. you can 3-bet with many worse hands. K9 is pretty easy to play, you have some connectivity and also some high card value with the 9 and K, allowing you to call many flops and float.

assuming you can only 3bet a limited % of bluff hands, if you 3bet this, you will be folding way too many hands. You should call this and 3bet even weaker hands.
    • mlatasrb
      mlatasrb
      Bronze
      Originally posted by mbml
      this is definitely playable with a call. you can 3-bet with many worse hands. K9 is pretty easy to play, you have some connectivity and also some high card value with the 9 and K, allowing you to call many flops and float.

assuming you can only 3bet a limited % of bluff hands, if you 3bet this, you will be folding way too many hands. You should call this and 3bet even weaker hands.
      OK, I got your idea. What percantage of range would you suggest calling vs sb and what 3betting? I mean, how many hands should I defend in total? I guess I should defend at least 33% because If I fold more than he can exploit me with stealing any hand from SB. But on the other hand, I think I should look at his open raise range from SB and adjust accordingly. For example, if SB is loose e.g. > 35% then I can defend more (like 50%) and if he is tight, then i defend less, since I win often enough blinds when he folds from SB?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      For example, if SB is loose e.g. > 35% then I can defend more (like 50%) and if he is tight, then i defend less, since I win often enough blinds when he folds from SB?
      yes, something like that. Just remember that if he opens to 3bb, you are getting 33% pot odds so you can actually defend pretty wide here in position.

Assuming both players play well and balanced, initiative is not going to be as important as position, so even if you call a lot, you are still advantageous here, provided you defend a sufficient % of hands on the Flop (folding 40% or even less vs Flop Cbets).