DrLightman

• DrLightman
      DrLightman
      Bronze
      Hi All,

My name is Erekle, I am 24, from Tbilisi, Georgia

Although I have poker experience for already 4 years, I regard myself to be beginner.

So I would like to formalize mu knowledge, begin everything from Zero and acquire substantial knowledge in poker.

I am pretty sure, this course will give me all that.

Many thanks in advance to Pokerstrategy team. You are fantastic.

Good Luck to me.
  • 4 replies
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey DrLightman

Welcome to the beginner's course. Great idea formalising your knowledge here at the beginner's course. Bogdan (our beginner's coach ) will help you immensely.

Goodluck with the course

Regards,
      Luke
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrLightman
      Hi All,

My name is Erekle, I am 24, from Tbilisi, Georgia

Although I have poker experience for already 4 years, I regard myself to be beginner.

So I would like to formalize mu knowledge, begin everything from Zero and acquire substantial knowledge in poker.

I am pretty sure, this course will give me all that.

Many thanks in advance to Pokerstrategy team. You are fantastic.

Good Luck to me.
      Hi Erekle,

Welcome to the course.

I am looking forward to helping you out on your way up the limits.

When you are ready please post the first homework.

Best of luck,

Bogdan
    • DrLightman
      DrLightman
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?

Well, perhaps one won't believe me, that unlike many people, my primary motivation isn't making money. It doesn't mean, that I don't like or don't need additional money.
      The thing is that, I've got a full time job and my salary is about 4 times higher the average in money country. And all these at the age of 24.

But, poker for me is a real challenge. It was a time when I was making my living with poker. Especially, when first local poker room opened in my country(2011) and poker buzz began(before that, there were only few hundred people, who played poker systematically on international poker rooms like Partypoker, Pokerstars or fulltilt. Among them was I).
      I was winning, I was winning a lot (About twice my current monthly salary). But I was winning not because I was good player, but they were simply terrible.

Time passed and things have changed. The average level of poker rose very fast in my country. People who I have taught poker rules, now were playing on my level. Some of them even best. For some reasons, they studied and developed very fast. I stayed on the same (low) level.
      Thus, I wasn't winning anything.

I have got an BBA and MBA degree, I have been taught calculus and psychology at the University. At the first glance, I have all the necessary background of playing poker well, but I failed.

I failed because, when I was winning, I thought I was "shark" and that would last all my remaining life. But it didn't. I stopped developing, I stopped focusing on my mistakes. I stopped even reading Pokerstrategy articles. That's why I failed.

fortunately, my current job allows me to allocate certain amount of time to poker (minimum 5 hours a day) Now I wan't to correct my mistakes and begin everything from 0. from poker alphabet. And steadily, step by step rise up the ladder.

I do believe that I can do it. If I can't. that will be a failure that I will remember all my life.

Sorry for such a big text, but i really tried to explain my motivation thoroughly.

What are your weaknesses when playing poker?

My primary weakness when playing poker, is fear. Fear that is caused by lacking me a formal knowledge of poker.
      When you know you are plying correctly(+EV), even when you loose one specific hand, that's not a problem at all. You know, that in the next case, you will play same way and you will win in the long run.

But when you don't know what the hell you are doing, you are always in fears and doubts:
      Should I played this this way or that way? What should I do next time? Should I behave the same way or change something.

This fear and doubt damages your belief in yourself and finally, affects your nerves, your psychology and finally, your results.

So, as a conclusion, the lack of theoretical knowledge in poker and constant fear while playing is the main weakness of me when playing poker.

What does it mean to play tight aggressive?

Well, the firs thing which comes in my mind when i hear TAG is only playing selecting hands. The hands, playing which is +EV in the long run.

But, at the same time TAG means you should always try to hold an initiative in your hands, as it makes your opponent feel under pressure and under pressure, people rarely make rational decisions. (Which is our aim: Opponent makes mistake, We win).

And of course, TAG player needs to pay big attention to position. The hands that are folded from certain positions, may be raised from other. So, in short, you should always try to play with a position.

P.S. I have read all the articles of lesson 1, watched video. Made notes, watched podcast of live training session with veriz.
      waiting for live training session with Bierbaer on saturday. And I'll summarize all learned on Sunday.
      On Monday, I intend to start lesson 2.

Thanks for attention
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Erekle,

Great first homework. I like the amount of work you have put into it and can't wait to see your next homework (and questions).

I am happy you realized that the moment you stop learning/growing as a player is the moment you will be surpassed by other players that did not stop. In this type of game you always have to look for ways to improve yourself and learn.

As far as fear goes this should be reduced as you gain more knowledge and experience. Fear, as you described it, will never fully go away because you will always have spots where you may doubt yourself.

I am looking forward to your next homework.

Best regards,

Bogdan