I'm confused

• Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      I'm a bit confused right now. I feel like a donk. I'm going through a downswing and I'm not sure if I'm playing bad or I'm just unlucky. Every time I have AA or KK somebody hits a set. It's just so often. I started to fold a lot of made hands beacause everytime somebody has a better hand. I'm kinda paranoid now. I don't know what to do...
  • 3 replies
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by Stevie8
      I'm a bit confused right now. I feel like a donk. I'm going through a downswing and I'm not sure if I'm playing bad or I'm just unlucky. Every time I have AA or KK somebody hits a set. It's just so often. I started to fold a lot of made hands beacause everytime somebody has a better hand. I'm kinda paranoid now. I don't know what to do...
      Hi, Stevie8...
      Yup, we've all been there, and if anyone playing poker has never felt that way, then it is just "never felt that way yet"

What you describe is a form of tilt.
      By that I mean that some thought process is taking you away from your A-game.

In this case folding hands that maybe you shouldn't.

So what to do?

Some ideas:
        Take a step back, review some big losses, and post them in the appropriate hand evaluation forum.
      That link is for cash games <= NL 10. If you're playing SnGs or higher limits, pick a different one.
        Play fewer tables for a bit. This allows you to focus on the range each hand.
      On each hand decide PRE-FLOP how you will play the hand. Adjust on the flop as necessary. But in any case, state your hand plan, then modify it only for a solid poker reason. In other words, don't modify it just because of an emotional reason.
        Drop a limit for a session. This gives you time to relax and there is much less pressure.
        Check your BRM. Are you playing stakes that you can beat? Are you playing stakes you can afford?

I'm sure others will have other ideas.

Reading some of the threads on tilt in the Learning to Win forum might help too.

All the best,
      --VS
    • Stevie8
      Stevie8
      Bronze
      thanks a lot ;)
    • martinstids
      martinstids
      Bronze
      Downswings is part of poker, i agree that its hard to play poker when u run bad. All i can suggest is review your session hands, think if u made bad decisions or just was unlucky. In long run you will win what u deserve ( it is equity lane in trackign programs )