Too many GordonGekko student promo blogs?

• DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Browsing 2p2 today I saw another free publicity style blog from a Student of GordonGekkos HU Mastermind course. As to be expected of almost anything on 2p2 it got a lot of negative feedback from people who don't seem to know who gordon is and have seen the exact same formula in several blogs already. I think this is a nicer community so thought I'd post the question here:

'Are there too many blogs by students of Gordon that appear to the untrained eye to be blatant free promotion tools?'

Or something like that at least. I must admit I'm getting quite scared of how it feels a bit like I'm being presented with a guaranteed formula for success (as long as you put the work in) and how 'good everyone' is getting in such a short period of time.

'Will all HU players from 50NL to 1KNL have to get gordons course in a couple of years just to level the playing field?'

Disclaimers:
      1) I know Gordon wouldn't say he is offering a magic bean, just the way it seems reading these blogs
      2) I also know this second concept kind of applies to the poker education field as a whole and those who work hardest will do best.
      3) I'm mainly worried about this because whatever I do I seem to burn out pretty quickly even trying to put in even as little as 6 hours a day of grinding in.
      4) I can also see why its only natural that Gordon and his students would want to promote his services, I'm interested in the community reaction here
  • 11 replies
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Well it is a promotion and I don't really like it. Reminds me Tri Nguyen and his magical 100k anything systems. :f_biggrin:

But he's doing what he think will net him the most money, so good for him.

And no way that everyone would need to get his coaching within few years to level the field.
    • unshpe
      unshpe
      Basic
      What's this course? IDo you have a table of contents/link?
    • Naghini
      Naghini
      Bronze
      well i have some courses of him not HU mastermind , but 6 max mastermind and other stuffs. and i can tell you hes the nuts , it's almost imposible to lose if you fallow his advices , of corse there's still variation , but i will recomand to any player those courses.
    • Phgrinder
      Phgrinder
      Silver
      well worth it :D i bought one of his courses and currently saving up for the hu mastermind course
    • ains21
      ains21
      Bronze
      Well, I'm doing one of the courses and started a blog here as well as on his site, but like you noticed how many are already here, and from now on will only post at his forums. He's a genius for insisting his students make blogs and update daily, the sheer amount of exposure his courses are getting is just incredible. Solid business mind, I guess.

As to whether there are too many here at PS? I don't think so. The thing is, while the format is very familiar in each blogs, with the same homework etc., it's still the case that this part of the forum is intended for users who want to document their progress, which is what these guys are doing. There's a lot of individual content to those blogs that goes beyond the homework, and they're enjoyable for this reason alone. The actual number of students is relatively low, btw .. it's just that they tend to post in their blogs every day, and actually maintain them (unlike many other PS users).

People shouldn't be too worried about whether or not Gordon's courses are the quick route to success: the fact of the matter is, that if you blog and do homework/study as often and as well as his students, it wouldn't matter who your teacher is -- you will succeed, no doubt.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Ridiculously solid post ains21. Nice one

Do you think there is just an over-reaction from the 2p2 types then? (Not sure if I can link but I guess you can imagine the sort of thing they might say) They do seem to be reacted a little harshly but at the same time I can see where they are coming from.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      not a big deal imo.

it seems that his students are getting the desired results, and that he's a solid coach. Haven't really watched too much of his stuff but have heard great things from him. Also, I think his videos have been well-received here, at least from what i read in the comments section.
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DaPhunk
      Do you think there is just an over-reaction from the 2p2 types then? (Not sure if I can link but I guess you can imagine the sort of thing they might say) They do seem to be reacted a little harshly but at the same time I can see where they are coming from.
      1. People don't like others' success generally.
      2. Gordon is far from humble, I dislike that about him actually and I'm pretty certain that's what gets him the biggest haters.
      3. I've watched some of his stuff and I think it's solid. I don't think it's the best and only way to go but it's certainly one of the ways that works for some people.
      4. He is using his students' success continuously to prove his coachings work, I think that's a solid approach to market his educational material.
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      IMO, there's so many available content out there that you can find and it'll make you a competent poker player.

If we look around the forums, we see a lot of respectable poker players selling their own products like books and videos.

Of course, the product helps you become a better poker player, but I believe they are leaving out one important factor on what makes a successful player and that important factor is the poker player himself.

If he isn't motivated, and unwilling to put in the time and work to become a good poker player then no video or amount of coaching will help him IMO.
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Bronze
      If he isn't motivated, and unwilling to put in the time and work to become a good poker player then no video or amount of coaching will help him IMO.

And gordon I think know very well how to solve motivation problem, from what I seen.

Its just bit weird when I open his site, in there is the youtube video where he presents how he can teach a student to make 100k in one year. I look at such advertisings sceptically, there is full internet of such type of adds not only about poker, so that looks like scam, I would not believe if I did not know him,

But when I saw comments in pokerstartegy, I believe more, but still this 100K loooks unrewalistic :D unless you are such player who already knows how to make 50K a year.
    • DaPhunk
      DaPhunk
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SPeedFANat1c
      Its just bit weird when I open his site, in there is the youtube video where he presents how he can teach a student to make 100k in one year. I look at such advertisings sceptically, there is full internet of such type of adds not only about poker, so that looks like scam, I would not believe if I did not know him,
      This is partly why I haven't bought into any of his stuff. From what I can tell his results and coaching results are legit (despite only one posted set of personal results i believe) but I just can't bring myself to part with any of my cash for something that looks like it comes from what I think of as "The USA school of overselling". I'm probably just too skeptical by nature.