This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

No time like the present

• stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      Hello people,

My name is Calum and I'm starting this blog for 2 main reasons :
        To become a winning online player
      To keep myself motivated

So a little about myself - I am a 22 year old, working in a job i feel is dead end as it is not the job i see myself continuing for my whole life. I work 8am-6pm monday to friday and work 8am-4pm every second saturday so it feels like my whole life is spent at work. At the moment i lack motivation and feel the need to change certain aspects in my life to do with my focus, my poker career and my health. I play a sport called shinty which I have done since i was 7 and now play in the third division a little like football except shinty is a completely amateur sport including the premier division. This season I have had my worst year due to putting on weight and not keeping my fitness up. I have been playing poker for a few years but have always gone bust and never taken it seriously only reading the occasional article etc etc. So i plan on starting from the very bottom to retrain my way of thinking and keep me in line.

I am going to start playing SNG's which i have only played a little of but i think it is the best way to build my bankroll and not lose all my money. I will be playing on 888 poker and be starting with $1 SNG's mainly 6-max and some HU as i have played a fair amount of 6-max. I will not move up in stake unless i reach 80 buy in's so $80 then i will ad one or two $2 games in while i continue to play $1's and in the event i lose more than 5 buy ins i will drop back to only $1's.

My daily goals
        play 20 SNG's
      review my whole session
      upload 2 hands for evaluation
      read at least 1 article/watch 1 strategy video
      get up at 6.30am when my alarm goes off and not hammer the snooze button
      go to the gym after work 3/4 nights a week straight after work.

My August goals
        play 500 SNG's
      move from 2/3 tables to 6 tables
      upload 20 hands to the hand evaluation forum
      Lose 10Lbs
      reach $100 bankroll

Starting bankroll
      $16.29
  • 7 replies
    • stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      Day 1 down and i am shattered.

Went to they gym and destroyed my legs actually pushing harder than ever before so which felt great. As soon as i got home though i was couch bound. Played 5 SNGs and won $2 so not a bad day at all.

Hopefully tomorrow i can work on my game then play and i will upload a hand or two from today/tomorrows session.

Being positive is key to my coming success!
    • stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      Day 2

Well i ate fairly healthy today still sticking to a nice meal plan but didn't go to the gym. Instead i played a few SNG's and ran well then started to get a little tilted and lost 2 buy ins.

I will try and upload my graph once i work out how to.

Current bankroll
      $18.46

I plan on reviewing my game in a little while and mark some hands to upload to the hand forums tomorrow.

Feeling Good :D
    • stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      [B]Day 3[/b]

I'm still keeping to my regime of eating well and going to the gym, spurred on by my 3lb drop since sunday :D

Poker wise i played 50 SNG's today and i was all over the place up and down and couldn't seem to close out the games so had more 2nd's and 3rds than 1sts. It makes me feel that i should maybe just play nl2 until my bankroll is a little more comfortable as i don't think i can take it being that swingy. I also noticed i was getting tilted fairly badly when i got it in with the best hand and still lost at the end although i know in my head that its good that i was getting it in when it was in my favour i don't think my tiny bankroll can cope.

Ended up playing a $2.80 6 man right at then end and won it to get my bankroll back closer to before but i will be finishing the day having lost $4.

Bankroll
      $14.46

Feeling disheartened

*Also on a side note this is the longest i have ever tracked my goals/tasks and can take a positive from keeping this up.
      There's always tomorrow!
    • dragobeteeee
      dragobeteeee
      Bronze
      Good Luck! :)
    • stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      Day 4
      I let it slip with my healthy eating and didn't go to the gym after work :(

I also was tilted and bust my $18 playing nl25

Day 5
      I didn't play at all and went back to the gym to punish myself for being a silly fish.

Day 6
      I deposited $50 on poker stars to play nl2 zoom with a safe bankroll and to completely start again. This time my focus is on cash games.
      I am currently marking hands and going to upload them tonight in the forums to see what other people think about my game.

Today's giraffe
    • stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      My biggest hand so far

Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

Play hand

$0.01/$0.02 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      BU:
      $3.65
      SB:
      $3.26
      BB:
      $1.98
      MP2 (Hero):
      $2.76
      MP3:
      $2.25
      CO:
      $2.36

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K, A.
      Hero raises to $0.06, MP3 folds, CO raises to $0.22, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.16.

Flop: ($0.47) A, K, K (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $2.14, Hero calls $2.14.

Turn: ($4.75) 2 (2 players)

River: ($4.75) Q (2 players)

Final Pot: $4.75.
      Results follow:

CO shows two pairs, aces and kings(Q A).
      Hero shows a full-house, kings full of aces(K A).

Hero wins with a full-house, kings full of aces(K A).
    • stompy91
      stompy91
      Bronze
      Decided to play during happy hour to get the 2 x VPP's . . . . . . .

First day of zoom and i'm down 10 BI's