[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH Zoom - AKs

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.12 (102.4 bb)
      SB: $5 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.16 (103.2 bb)
      UTG: $30.74 (614.8 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $3.64 (72.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K A
      UTG raises to $0.15, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 5 K 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.72) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

River: ($1.42) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Villain is 20/20 over 10 hands.

Decided to flat pre. I always find myself having trouble 3betting AK here out of position against a UTG raiser, because you're rarely in good shape if you get 4bet. But AKs is almost certainly ahead of his range, so I decided to just flat.

On the flop I wasn't sure whether to check/raise or to just check/call. I feel like check/raising would just make him fold hands like JJ. At the same time though, if he has AcXc here he probably will call, so I can get some value there. Also KQ probably calls a raise.

In the end I decided to just check/call, simply because I think I fold out too many of his weaker hands.

The turn is a pretty shitty card here. KQ and QQ now beat me, and it's also going to be much tougher to get value from hands like JJ/TT now, because they're now third pair. I still think I have to call another bet here though, because he could still be betting some flush draws, maybe even a hand like AQ (though I'd expect him to check most Qx behind here) or a worse Kx if he raises hands like KJs from UTG.

Now, on his river I definitely would have folded to another bet, since I barely beat anything . However, what if the river would have been the 4 of diamonds instead? Would you then call another river bet here? Or would that still be a fold?
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey T,

I think you played well postflop given preflop. If the river is a blank I think you should still fold to a bet. You basically have a bluffcatcher only since people don't bet KJ or worse there. If you think he barrels club draws often you should call but I think they give up eventually.