This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH Zoom - AKs

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.12 (102.4 bb)
      SB: $5 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.16 (103.2 bb)
      UTG: $30.74 (614.8 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $3.64 (72.8 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K A
      UTG raises to $0.15, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.10

Flop: ($0.32) 5 K 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.72) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG bets $0.35, Hero calls $0.35

River: ($1.42) 4 (2 players)
      Hero checks, UTG checks

Villain is 20/20 over 10 hands.

Decided to flat pre. I always find myself having trouble 3betting AK here out of position against a UTG raiser, because you're rarely in good shape if you get 4bet. But AKs is almost certainly ahead of his range, so I decided to just flat.

On the flop I wasn't sure whether to check/raise or to just check/call. I feel like check/raising would just make him fold hands like JJ. At the same time though, if he has AcXc here he probably will call, so I can get some value there. Also KQ probably calls a raise.

In the end I decided to just check/call, simply because I think I fold out too many of his weaker hands.

The turn is a pretty shitty card here. KQ and QQ now beat me, and it's also going to be much tougher to get value from hands like JJ/TT now, because they're now third pair. I still think I have to call another bet here though, because he could still be betting some flush draws, maybe even a hand like AQ (though I'd expect him to check most Qx behind here) or a worse Kx if he raises hands like KJs from UTG.

Now, on his river I definitely would have folded to another bet, since I barely beat anything . However, what if the river would have been the 4 of diamonds instead? Would you then call another river bet here? Or would that still be a fold?
  • 1 reply
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey T,

I think you played well postflop given preflop. If the river is a blank I think you should still fold to a bet. You basically have a bluffcatcher only since people don't bet KJ or worse there. If you think he barrels club draws often you should call but I think they give up eventually.