Bad Luck or something wrong with my game?

• rich2681
      rich2681
      Bronze
      Lately i been getting some really bad beats and i'm not sure if its because there's something wrong with the way i'm playing or if i'm possibly playing at the wrong level or what it is. I've been playing $0.50 and $1 Rebuy MTT's at poker 770 and i've had it about 5 times now where i've been beaten by really week inferior hands. Just 5 minutes ago I was dealt KK in late position. There was a raise 2 BB so i called all in. I was called by 4 other players all having weak hands. The guy that won the pot had 85 and on the flop hit 855 the turn you bet ya was a 5...who the hell calls all in with 85o? should i play at a higher level to avoid getting these bad calls?
  • 10 replies
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      You're playing at a site full of recreational poker players. They play differently, and I know this because I used to play at 888.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Hey Rich

I completely understand your frustration. With the KK hand was it quite early in the tourney? I wouldn't be surprised if it was because often timesthe first phase of the tournament is typically a raffle and sometimes it could be wise to fold premiums even because people just try to get quick double or triple ups in the rebuy period with trashy hands.

Personally I would only suggest moving up if you had the roll for it and then yeah by all means play a few of the limits above your current one and see how it goes.

Regards,
      Luke
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Hey Rich2681!

I don't think you have to play higher limits. If your BR allows you to you can ofcourse! But you got some bad beats now which in a way is good. You are getting it in with the best hand. So in the long run you should be winning.

If there is something wrong with your game? I don't know but you could post some hands up for evaluation. This is a great way to discover your leaks and improve your game!

Regards

RasTweet
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rich2681
      Lately i been getting some really bad beats and i'm not sure if its because there's something wrong with the way i'm playing or if i'm possibly playing at the wrong level or what it is. I've been playing $0.50 and $1 Rebuy MTT's at poker 770 and i've had it about 5 times now where i've been beaten by really week inferior hands. Just 5 minutes ago I was dealt KK in late position. There was a raise 2 BB so i called all in. I was called by 4 other players all having weak hands. The guy that won the pot had 85 and on the flop hit 855 the turn you bet ya was a 5...who the hell calls all in with 85o? should i play at a higher level to avoid getting these bad calls?
      No man for 2 reasons.

1st - you don't really want to avoid these bad calls, while you might lose to them some of the time long term if players keep making bad calls against you then you will come out a winner.

2nd - players make bad calls at every level anyway. I mainly play micro levesl from freerolls-$5.50 buy-ins but also I satellite into bigger buy-ins when I can. One time on 770 I won a ticket to the $200+$15 buy in they have on a Sunday and there was some terrible calls in that.

If you move up to a higher level all it will do is hurt more when they hit after making a bad call.
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      Originally posted by maythany
      You're playing at a site full of recreational poker players. They play differently, and I know this because I used to play at 888.
      They bluff a lot...guys who are playing for cash are less risky and fold a LOT more and bluff a lot less
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      You want him to call just like you want people to always play poorly. If your playing these stakes you will always find play like this and TBH many higher stakes players would love to get that kind of action at their level too.

Keep grinding and keep your chin up :D
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Bad luck and something wrong with your game.

- Most likely -
    • metza
      metza
      Bronze
      Originally posted by rich2681
      about 5 times now
      I would hazard a guess that you don't understand tourney variance.

1000 tourneys is not even a big sample size. 5...is just irrelevant.
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      That's why I can't play mtts, at least regularly, can't stand the variance :D
    • SpiritMountain
      SpiritMountain
      Basic
      Great point by inoimbluffingdou. Without the pressure, and consequence, of money, recreational players have the freedom to bluff early and often in any given hand. This can certainly be frustrating.