Avoiding Nerves

• vbear1983
      vbear1983
      Basic
      How do all!!

Pretty new to the site....be gentle....

I'm wanting to get back into some Live Tourneys, but always struggled with nerves for some bizarre reason. Don't know whybbecause always been very comfortable at the table.

Can anyone advise on how to try and avoid this as best possible??

Thanks all
  • 13 replies
    • justkyle88
      justkyle88
      Bronze
      Hey vbear1983,

Welcome to PokerStrategy.com and the English Community.

Usually nervousness all comes down to experience and time at the tables.
      Also, if your playing at to high a limit then you could be nervous if your going to lose that money.

You need to ask yourself at "what stage do you get nervous", "when do you get nervous"? And then we can go from there.

Regards,

Kyle.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I second what Kyle said.

A very good advice: DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL before you start playing. Sure your nerves might be gone but so is your A-game.

Regards

RasTweet
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hello vbear1983,

I can't be considered qualified enough to help out, but this guy certainly is:

Schnitzelfisch Q & A - Become a productive poker player!

I have no doubt at all he can sort you out :)

Have fun,

Mal.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      I have played live a few times now and find I get a bit nervous sometimes too, I find taking a few deep breathes helps a lot.

I often disguise them as a yawn or stretching or looking around the room for a friend.
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      Originally posted by RasTweet
      I second what Kyle said.

A very good advice: DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL before you start playing. Sure your nerves might be gone but so is your A-game.

Regards

RasTweet
      lol common mistake
    • SpiritMountain
      SpiritMountain
      Basic
      It may sound cliche, but it's very true: It's not a matter of getting rid of that nervous feeling, it's being able to control it.

Everyone has a different way of controlling nerves, and it's up to you to find the solution that best suits you.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by SpiritMountain
      It may sound cliche, but it's very true: It's not a matter of getting rid of that nervous feeling, it's being able to control it.

Everyone has a different way of controlling nerves, and it's up to you to find the solution that best suits you.
      This is very true as well!

I played live once and I was sooo nervous!:O I kept shaking with my leg and I just payed attention to it that I did it during every hand. I'm not saying that ppl couldn't read me, but I guessed it was a good 'strategy' to keep shaking.
    • Drewcivic
      Drewcivic
      Basic
      i get nervous and start shaking , i just have a few beers im usually fine
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Drewcivic
      i get nervous and start shaking , i just have a few beers im usually fine
      :D I wouldn't be able to play my A-game anymore if I'd drink beer.
    • inoimbluffingdou
      inoimbluffingdou
      Basic
      I second what Kyle said.

Regards

RasTweet
      The thing about nerves is that they put you in flight or fight mode. You want to be in fight mode, this is when you are thinking the most efficiently.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by inoimbluffingdou
      I second what Kyle said.

Regards

RasTweet
      The thing about nerves is that they put you in flight or fight mode. You want to be in fight mode, this is when you are thinking the most efficiently.
      This is very interesting! Gonna give that some thought when (if) I move up stakes.
    • Walshnm
      Walshnm
      Bronze
      It comes with time - sometimes when I have been away from a live table for a while I get the same but usually once you win (or even sometimes lose!) a couple pots it all settles out. Practice makes perfect.

GL at the tables!
    • carrapa
      carrapa
      Bronze
      Yeah, nothing beats experience, with time you'll be playing calm and relaxed ;)