[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH Zoom - K9o

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $4.40 (88 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.68 (113.6 bb)
      UTG: $2.26 (45.2 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $4.86 (97.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K 9
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.12, SB folds, Hero calls $0.07

Flop: ($0.26) A 4 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.26) J (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.15, BTN calls $0.15

River: ($0.56) 4 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.35, BTN folds

Villain is 17/14 over 37 hands.

Since villain is opening from the BU, I expect his range to be pretty wide. So defending K9 here should be fine I think. If I would've been the SB though, I think I just would've mucked this.

When he checks the flop I don't expect him to have much of a strong hand, most likely some sort of pocket pair that has showdown value, or maybe a weak draw that he doesn't want to bet with.

So since he showed weakness on the flop, I decided to put pressure on pretty much his entire range, which is likely to be quite weak. It wouldn't make sense to me to just bet once, so I decided to go for a double barrel here. I'd expect him to fold his second/third pair type hands on the turn pretty often. And if not on the turn, then almost certainly on the river when a flush draw completes (which I can credibly rep imo).

Is this a reasonable line to take here?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

Preflop: what's your plan defending a hand like this? I really don't think you need to defend this loose at 5nl.

Postflop: The line is fine but the bet sizes are not. Simply bet bigger on the turn for a few reasons: A) you make more money when he folds the river (which is often), B) you do get a bit more FE both on the turn and river, C) you get more value (when you do valuebet in this spot).