This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH Zoom - AQo river spot

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.02 (100.4 bb)
      SB: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $5.52 (110.4 bb)
      UTG: $5.46 (109.2 bb)
      MP: $5.07 (101.4 bb)
      CO: $5.38 (107.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A Q
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.55, BTN calls $0.40

Flop: ($1.12) T Q 5 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.60, BTN calls $0.60

Turn: ($2.32) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($2.32) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.35, Hero folds

Villain is 23/19 over 26 hands.

Preflop is a pretty standard 3bet for value imo.

On the flop I make a cbet for value. I can still easily get value from worse here. This is also pretty standard I think.

The turn is where things got interesting for me. I decided to go for some pot control here, with just top pair, out of position in a 3bet pot. However, would it have been better to bet maybe like $1.30 or something here, to get value from hands like KQ/QJ or maybe even KJ/J9s (though unlikely because it's a 3bet pot)? It just feels a bit too thin here, and I think I just make him fold a lot of worse hands such as JJ/Tx/AK or whatever.

My plan was then to call a river bet on most river cards. However, the T was kind of a bad card for me. Hands like AT/KT/QT now have me beat, and I'm fairly certain most Qx, JJ and AK will check behind here most of the time. So I pretty much have to hope he is turning missed draws here into a bluff, and I don't really have that information on him.

Is this fine, or is this a very nitty fold? Am I giving villain too much credit here? Could I maybe even considering make a thin value bet on the river against JJ/AK that decide to hero call?

Lots of questions, I know :D
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

First, yes this is a nitty fold given how you played the hand.

Second, the only reason I'd check the turn would be to let him bet his floats but without expecting a ton of floats just bet the turn for value again.

You can't really pot control OOP when the pot is already this big. You are at the mercy of his betting which is not good.