This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH Zoom - KK

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $7.93 (158.6 bb)
      BB: $5.64 (112.8 bb)
      UTG: $6.71 (134.2 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $9.05 (181 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K K
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, SB calls $0.08, BB folds

Flop: ($0.25) J A 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.25) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

River: ($0.55) 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Villain is 48/35 over 23 hands, so seems quite fishy.

KK on A high boards always seems to be a problem for me.

My standard raise size from the BU is 2bb. However, with a fishy guy in the SB would it be better to make it 3x here to get maximum value pre flop?

I think I should have cbet this board for value. Yes he can have Ax, but he can also still call with Jx, 8x, flush draws and straight draws. I think I could easily have the best hand here, and there's a ton of bad turn cards so I really don't like my check behind here.

Now if this would have been an A83 rainbow flop, I think I would have liked a check behind much more, because there's much less he can call with. Does that sound reasonable?

As played, I think the turn is a pretty standard call. The only draw that gets there is QT, and a hand like T9/Q9/K9 picks up some extra equity that he might fire with, so I definitely see myself still being ahead here. Yes I could be behind already, but I don't think I can ever fold here after showing weakness on the flop. The plan was to call another river bet on a safe card.

The river is essentially a blank. I'm not too worried about the flush draw coming in. Especially when he checks, I don't think he ever has the flush here.

Could I consider betting the river here for thin value against Jx/9x type hands? Should I call if he bets the river again?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

Preflop: looks fine but yes 3x pre with fish in blinds would be good.

Postflop: I think we should just cbet the flop. We have value still and want to somewhat protect our equity. And since he is a fish we definitely have plenty of value.

Even the Axx rainbow can see a cbet for value but I agree that checking there is better (than here)>

I would definitely consider betting river 1/2 pot. I doubt many Ax check there.