[NL2-NL10] NL5 SH Zoom - KK

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $5 (100 bb)
      SB: $7.93 (158.6 bb)
      BB: $5.64 (112.8 bb)
      UTG: $6.71 (134.2 bb)
      MP: $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $9.05 (181 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K K
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.10, SB calls $0.08, BB folds

Flop: ($0.25) J A 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.25) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.15, Hero calls $0.15

River: ($0.55) 2 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

Villain is 48/35 over 23 hands, so seems quite fishy.

KK on A high boards always seems to be a problem for me.

My standard raise size from the BU is 2bb. However, with a fishy guy in the SB would it be better to make it 3x here to get maximum value pre flop?

I think I should have cbet this board for value. Yes he can have Ax, but he can also still call with Jx, 8x, flush draws and straight draws. I think I could easily have the best hand here, and there's a ton of bad turn cards so I really don't like my check behind here.

Now if this would have been an A83 rainbow flop, I think I would have liked a check behind much more, because there's much less he can call with. Does that sound reasonable?

As played, I think the turn is a pretty standard call. The only draw that gets there is QT, and a hand like T9/Q9/K9 picks up some extra equity that he might fire with, so I definitely see myself still being ahead here. Yes I could be behind already, but I don't think I can ever fold here after showing weakness on the flop. The plan was to call another river bet on a safe card.

The river is essentially a blank. I'm not too worried about the flush draw coming in. Especially when he checks, I don't think he ever has the flush here.

Could I consider betting the river here for thin value against Jx/9x type hands? Should I call if he bets the river again?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

Preflop: looks fine but yes 3x pre with fish in blinds would be good.

Postflop: I think we should just cbet the flop. We have value still and want to somewhat protect our equity. And since he is a fish we definitely have plenty of value.

Even the Axx rainbow can see a cbet for value but I agree that checking there is better (than here)>

I would definitely consider betting river 1/2 pot. I doubt many Ax check there.