$0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BB: $8 (40 bb)
      UTG: $18.60 (93 bb)
      MP: $38.68 (193.4 bb)
      CO: $27.76 (138.8 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $20 (100 bb)
      SB: $37.15 (185.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with 9 9
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.40, SB folds, BB raises to $1.20, Hero raises to $20 and is all-in, BB folds

villain is one of those annoying MSS players... he 3bets ~12% overall for 400 hands but from the blinds vs BU opens his % is pretty huge so far.

at first i took AXs and KXs and 4bet bluffed which is pretty bad i think. and ofc he snap shipped over my 4bet every time - could have been sample but still i don't think it's a good plan. so now i'm planning to play back vs his 3bets only with hands that i wanna get it in with. something like 77+ and AJ+ (not sure about the actual range)

the thing is i'm not sure which of these options is best:

- if i 4bet/call then i give him the chance to 5bet ship over me. this might mean he makes a mistake when he ships a worse PP or some weak AX hand.
      - if i 4bet-ship myself like i did in this particular hand then he will be making less mistakes against me because he will either call with a strong range or fold his bluffs.

what do you think?
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi Lewis,

Preflop: You 4-bet bluffed and folded? You can't really fold 40 BB deep given proper 4-bet sizes.

So unless you min 4-bet or keep it really small it's hard to 4-bet/fold or even give him the impression that he can 5bet ship on top of you.

What size did you use, assuming 40 BB stacks?
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      yeah i realised it was a really bad idea to 4betbluff/fold vs a 40bb stack so thats why i'm trying to figure out how else i can play vs them. there are a few of these guys that i encounter a lot and since it's speed poker i can't just avoid it.

i can't actually remember my sizing but his 3bets were smaller anyway so my 4bet would have been around 20bb or something
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by DrDunne
      yeah i realised it was a really bad idea to 4betbluff/fold vs a 40bb stack so thats why i'm trying to figure out how else i can play vs them. there are a few of these guys that i encounter a lot and since it's speed poker i can't just avoid it.

i can't actually remember my sizing but his 3bets were smaller anyway so my 4bet would have been around 20bb or something
      Even if your 4bets are around 20 BB that means you invested half your stack and got roughly 25% pot odds. So unless you 4-bet complete junk there's no way you can fold.

I recommend taking some hands you 4-bet and equilab them versus his range and see how you'd fare.

Against guys like this your best bet is to also play aggro (call more preflop and raise their cbets, which t hey make very often) or 4-bet a wider range for value (look through your hands and see what they stack off with) but TT+, AQ+ is a good start.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Against guys like this your best bet is to also play aggro (call more preflop and raise their cbets, which t hey make very often) or 4-bet a wider range for value (look through your hands and see what they stack off with) but TT+, AQ+ is a good start.
      yeah i went through my sample i have on these two guys but i don't have many showdowns from when they went AI and the few SDs i do have, they ended up with premiums anyway but i know that's just a sample issue because they can't play that way and always have it.

so my plan so far is just take 77+ and AJ+ and 4bet-ship over their 3bets. but i'm really not sure whether i should 4bet-ship or make a small 4bet with the intention of calling their 5bet? because if i just ship it in myself then they dont have a chance to 5bet-ship very light and their calling range probably beats me... what do you think?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      You can test them with small 4-bets and see how they react. But you cannot fold if you 4-bet that range.

So what you can try is almost a min 4-bet of sorts to really induce the most out of them.