This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] QJs in 3bet pot oop

• legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $61.31 (245.2 bb)
      SB: $37 (148 bb)
      Hero (BB): $31.64 (126.6 bb)
      UTG: $71.83 (287.3 bb)
      MP: $15.05 (60.2 bb)
      CO: $69.56 (278.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J Q
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.55, BTN calls $0.55, SB folds, Hero raises to $2.25, CO folds, BTN calls $1.70

Flop: ($5.15) Q 6 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.25, BTN calls $2.25

Turn: ($9.65) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($9.65) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $6.50, Hero folds

Results:
      $9.65 pot ($0.43 rake)
      Final Board: Q 6 6 K T
      BTN mucked and won $9.22 ($4.72 net)
      Hero mucked J Q and lost (-$4.50 net)
  • 5 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hey Luke,

Can you guide me through your thought process here? I have quite a few alternatives here but I need to know what you were thinking before discussing them.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      Ok so I raise pre as a bluff get called so proceeding with caution considering issues of domination.

standard cbet imo but still cautious because AQ and KQ in villains range but still a lot of turn cards that help me a :spade: another Q a J another 6

Decide to hold fire on the K because it helps his range especially if he plays float 100% if he thinks i'm cbetting all flops (not sure if this is a huge assumption considering i have no reads). so this was a check/call then plan to check/fold river

not really sure if I should have called river if i was prepared to c/c turn but feel that T is also bad card because so many of his calling range got there imo QT AJ KQ AQ all have me beat
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      OK, Preflop I think you could just call with your hand. It plays well multiway, you close the action so unless you can get many calls from worse I dislike the squeeze.

Postflop, if you assume they call mostly Qx that have you in bad shape and lower pairs, I prefer checking since it's more of a way ahead/way behind situation. Not a classic wa/wb but sort of like that. You also then balance your checking range to not always check/fold this flop when you miss because it's a bad flop to cbet in a 3bet pot with all your range.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Gold
      yeah good point about cbetting with 100% of my range and it being bad on a board like this. That is definitely a leak of mine. I don't select boards well in 3bet pots and just barrel too often.

So you reckong call with this hand huh? k to be honest I'm quite inexperienced in playing spots like this and just squeeze here regardless with a hand like QJ but i'm picking i'm wasting a lot of value. If i'm calling with QJs which other hands am I calling in this spot and which hands do you suggest are in my bluff squeezing range?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I would squeeze hands like Q9s which are more understandably too weak to call for some but QJ is like one of the best suited connectors out there. 3betting should still be +EV but I think call >> 3bet here. If you are SB maybe that changes since you have BB to worry about too.

This is an approximate squeezing range I'd use here:

QQ+,AKs,KTs-K8s,QTs-Q8s,J9s-J8s,T8s,97s,87s,76s,ATo+,KJo+,QJo

QTs, KTs type hands can also be a call and with these odds I'd call them but if you are not there yet with QJs, you probably have a tough time with those 2 hand types too. This is not just a bluff range though, it's a full range I'd squeeze here. You can think about including JJ too imo but that's already going into fine adjustments based on opposition.