This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] AKo vs raise flop, and turn

• GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      PokerStars - $0.50 NL FAST (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BTN: 61.06 BB
      SB: 188.36 BB (VPIP: 15.42, PFR: 11.22, 3Bet Preflop: 5.81, Hands: 217)
      BB: 100 BB
      UTG: 114.62 BB (VPIP: 38.46, PFR: 26.15, 3Bet Preflop: 9.52, Hands: 67)
      MP: 114.22 BB (VPIP: 31.43, PFR: 25.71, 3Bet Preflop: 22.22, Hands: 35)
      Hero (CO): 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:diamond: K:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (7 BB, 2 players) A:heart: 2:diamond: 7:heart:
      SB checks, Hero bets 5 BB, SB raises to 13 BB, Hero calls 8 BB

Turn: (33 BB, 2 players) 5:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets 22 BB, SB raises to 172.36 BB and is all-in, Hero calls 62 BB and is all-in

River: (201 BB, 2 players) J:club:

He raises flop 2/5, this is what makes me to call him down. Also I think he would raise more often vs CO, if I would be UTG or MP I would snap fold this vs almost everyone.

Is turn bet ok? I think I am ahead, when he checks he either decided to fold or to pot control maybe AQ, AJ if he raises that for value. When he shoves, I find it totally strange line, so I call to see it and make a note.
  • 3 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi GingerKid,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: You are facing a rather big nit for a 6 max game. So I think that his raising range is usually strong and as played I agree with your line minus the turn call.

There's no reason to check the turn but usually these nits double ck/raising are not bluffing much (and we block the FD).
    • GingerKid
      GingerKid
      Black
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi GingerKid,

Preflop: looks fine

Postflop: You are facing a rather big nit for a 6 max game. So I think that his raising range is usually strong and as played I agree with your line minus the turn call.

There's no reason to check the turn but usually these nits double ck/raising are not bluffing much (and we block the FD).
      I actually called turn to make a note about his play since it is very strange line. He had fd here, TJs, so in future when he raises I will know that he has also bluffs, semi bluffs in his range, so I thought it will be future EV. Is it ok to call because of note?
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Indeed an interesting line by someone like him.

I usually call for notes if I have a chance to win or improve to the best hand. My assumption in a spot like this would be that we rarely win or can improve to the best hand (but of course I was proven wrong - maybe he was tilting?).

What were your expectations, if any, when you called? Just purely note taking money? That's a pretty expensive note in a spot that rarely comes up. I doubt you'll see such play more than once every thousand hands or less.