Boss mode : From Nl200 to higher

• PhillQC
      PhillQC
      Bronze
      Hey guys !

I have been thinking about making a blog for a while but didn’t really have the motivation to do so. I realized recently that I’m not progressing anymore in poker, so this blog is here to help me track my results and help me to be more motivated to grind.

On me :

I am 19 years old and I’m from Quebec, Canada (the french part). I have been playing poker since I’m about 15 years old, after watching my brother playing online. I wanted to play really bad so he sent me 5$ on a shitty site, which pretty much allowed me to play even tough I wasn't 18. Pokerstrategy is the site that helped me to get better at the beginning, as I was reading the articles on my brother's account. One year later, I was 16 and I was playing Nl 50 HU. I then went on a heater and I was playing Nl 200 at 17 years old. So I grinded those limits very fast but, unfortunately, with college and my travel to Europe, I didn’t play much poker last year and I’m still stuck in NL 200. I have played up to Nl 1K at one point and had good results in Nl 500 zoom, but I just don’t feel like I have the skills required to play those limits anymore.

Those are my results for year 2013

Even though, I make decent money for my age, I am not satisfied with my results as two years ago, I was playing Nl 200 and now I’m almost break even at this limit.

My goals :

This year will be very fun! I have a gap year and I am moving to south-east asia in approximately one month. I plan on partying, travelling and obviously grind my way out of Nl 200. Next year, I’ll be going to university so until then, it’s all about poker and travelling! I want to have a win rate of 5bb/100 hands in nl 200 on a 100k sample, which would be approximately 80$ an hour without rakeback. If I achieve that, I’ll be moving up to NL 400-500-600. My main games are Nl200 Zoom and HU. I think I am better in heads up but the action sucks so I don't play much HU except to start 6 max games.

On a side note :

If anyone from the community wants to meet up in asia( I will be doing a lot of countries but I am planning on having a poker house in Philippines), just send me a message and we’ll figure out something. I don’t have any friend in the poker world (always grinded alone), and I feel like having a few poker friends would be great!

I have also set a goal to do a lot of tourneys on sundays in August, and my first Sunday was pretty good !I finished in 3rd place :

Objectives of August:

Keep updating my blog
      Play 120k hands
      Do 8-12 tourneys on sunday
      Watch a lot of videos on RunitOnce and apply concepts learned
  • 2 replies
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      Hi there PhillQC!

I see this is your first post so welcome to the forums, were very pleased to have you around.

It would appear you've got some experience so I wont point you towards the Beginners Course! :f_biggrin:

Anyway, welcome to blogs and make sure you post those hands for our hand evaluation judges.

Make sure the gap year is memorable and have fun here,

Mal.
    • PhillQC
      PhillQC
      Bronze
      Some cool bluffs from today and yesterday :) :

1) hard to believe this is a reg... one of the worst sizing tells i have ever seen

Poker Stars $1/$2 No Limit Hold'em $0.40 Ante - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $526.14
      Hero (BTN): $512.00
      SB: $563.35
      BB: $200.00
      UTG: $219.80

Pre Flop: ($5.00) Hero is BTN with Q :spade: 6 :diamond:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $4, SB calls $3, BB calls $2

Flop: ($14.00) T :club: 2 :spade: 6 :club: (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $10, SB folds, BB raises to $25, Hero calls $15

Turn: ($64.00) J :diamond: (2 players)
      BB bets $35, Hero calls $35

River: ($134.00) 4 :club: (2 players)
      BB bets $62, Hero raises to $438, BB folds

Final Pot: $258.00
      Hero mucks Q :spade: 6 :diamond:
      Hero wins $255.20
      (Rake: $2.80)

2) Playing vs kind of a nit. He knew nl200 is my standard limit so I think he wasn't expecting me to get out of line and do crazy bluffs. I was expecting him to fold every Ax except AQ. So his calling range was only AQ,88 and perhaps QQ from time to time(if he didn't 3b).

It makes approximately 12 combos he bets/call, and like 15 combos he bets/fold (JdTd,ATs,AJo,AKo half of the time).. So I don't even think it's a good bluff even tought he bets/fold every Ax and flush. It might be if you add shits like KdJd, hands turned into bluff like JJ (didn't expect him to do that though), and small Axs like A4s,A3s
      (Tell me if i didn't count the combos properly, I suck at this).

So not really sure if it's a good bluff or not, any thoughts on this?

Poker Stars $2/$4 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

SB: $659.08
      BB: $620.80
      Hero (UTG): $1277.42
      CO: $407.56
      BTN: $394.55

Pre Flop: ($6.00) Hero is UTG with J :club: K :club:
      Hero raises to $12, CO calls $12, 3 folds

Flop: ($30.00) A :heart: 8 :diamond: A :spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $20, CO calls $20

Turn: ($70.00) Q :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero bets $44, CO calls $44

River: ($158.00) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO bets $120, Hero raises to $1201.42 all in, CO folds

Final Pot: $398.00
      Hero mucks J :club: K :club:
      Hero wins $395.20
      (Rake: $2.80)