This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Zoom - QQ river spot

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $10.05 (100.5 bb)
      SB: $11.01 (110.1 bb)
      BB: $25.76 (257.6 bb)
      UTG: $12.05 (120.5 bb)
      MP: $11.18 (111.8 bb)
      Hero (CO): $25.62 (256.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q Q
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.25, 2 folds, BB raises to $0.60, Hero calls $0.35

Flop: ($1.25) K 4 3 (2 players)
      BB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

Turn: ($1.85) Q (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $1, BB raises to $2.80, Hero calls $1.80

River: ($7.45) 4 (2 players)
      BB bets $6.20, Hero raises to $21.92 and is all-in, BB calls $15.72

Villain is unknown.

Pre flop I decided to just call. We're really deep here, and I'd rather keep the pot a bit small in position than build a huge pot by 4betting. That said, would a 4bet be better here, for some reason?

As played, I didn't see much value in raising on the flop. The board is fairly dry, and I could easily have the best hand. If he has a smaller pair he'll just fold if I raise, and he might not have too many flush draws in his range here. Of course I'm not sure because he's unknown (first hand I've played with him).

On the turn, his check/raise looks really weird to me. I have the second nuts, and this looks like a really weird way to play KK to me. However, it's going to be tough to get value from worse (except 44/33 which he might not 3bet pre) by raising, so I decided to just flat.

His donk on the river also looks really weird. Again I don't expect him to have KK or 44 here too often, but at the same time I'm not sure if I can really get value from much worse here. I don't know if he's going to stack off with AK/KQ here.

Villain ended up showing KK here. Am I just being results oriented here, or could I legitimately have lost less here by just flatting on the river?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi TinoLaan,

Preflop: Given the stack sizes and bet sizes I can see us 4-bet for value and we can easily fold to a 5-bet.

There's no reason to believe we aren't ahead here often so that's why I'd 4-bet for value.

Postflop: Given the preflop, flop and now turn line we can definitely assume he is fishier. So your decision has to be on the turn really.

I think that KK, AK, AA can play like that (and rare KQ) so I would just 3-bet for pure value rather than wait till the river.