This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL20-NL50] nl20 sh 3b question

• DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      $0.10/$0.20 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

BB: $19.23 (96.1 bb)
      UTG: $20 (100 bb)
      MP: $54.70 (273.5 bb)
      CO: $26.65 (133.2 bb)
      BTN: $56.17 (280.8 bb)
      Hero (SB): $20.40 (102 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with X-X
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.60, BTN folds, Hero...

villain is a bad reg - 25/20, 3b 8.6% and fold to 3bet 38% over 400 hands and 4bet = 25% so far. some notes:
      - 3b-broke w/JJ+ and AQ+ (lp/blinds only?)
      - small cb/dcb w/2ndP, doesn't fold to raise
      - 3b AQ and ship over big db on 552tt
      - sbvbu uor, xdtr w/AT high on low wet flop.
      - sbvbu 3b KJo, played passive on connected board
      - didn't vbet when flush possible
      - sbvbu, calls 45s+; played OESD passive dtr & x/c on flush r
      - bet/call to hit as PFA w/OESD. scared of flushes.
      - as PFA, b/c AK on J55r
      - will bluffcatch light
      - raised flop w/2 overs

anyway, my question is how to approach the preflop war with this guy. my idea is to 3bet a range like this: JJ+, AJ+ and KQ for thin value because i think when he calls and i have KQ/AJ then i'm gunna be dominating a lot of his range. and when he 4bets me i think it might be ok to ship over with JJ+ and AQ but i'm not 100% sure about this which is why i'm posting the hand... how would you approach this from the given positions, and also how should we change that when one of us is EP/MP?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      hi

Firstly, how wide is the bad reg opening from CO? Let's say 25%. i'll probably 3-bet

Value: AJ+/KQ+/88+
      Air: all Suited broadways, and 78s+
      Vs a 5-bet: Ship 88+/AQ+. If he makes the 4-bet size really small (2X), I'll call with KQs and AJs and maybe some of the other suited broadways.

If he's in MP or EP then you need to tighten up by a lot. I'll remove 78s+ from the equation, as well as AJo/KQo. I'm still 3-betting AQ+/JJ+ for value, and 3-betting 88-TT/suited BWs as bluffs.
    • DrDunne
      DrDunne
      Bronze
      hey! he opens ~33% in CO so far over the sample i have.

when you say value, you mean you're 3bet/5betting with 88+, AJ+ and KQ? feels a bit spewy to ship in with KQ... could you explain your reasoning for selecting these hands please?

about his 4bet sizing, i've seen him 4bet/fold 25bb (3bb open, 10bb 3bet and 25bb 4bet, fold) and also i've seen him 4bet/fold with other sizings too. i need to see a few more of his hands to take any notes on this because it's hard to see a sizing tell from just a few occasions when he might be playing randomly.

also... what is the point in having an air 3bet range vs this guy? and do we even have a flatting range against him? thanks
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      I would ship 88+. With AJ and KQ I may/may not ship, depending on dynamic, 4-b size and 4-b range. If the 4b size is large and he 4bets a lot, then you could ship these hands sometimes. If he makes a small 4b and his 4b range is wide, then you can certainly call the 4b and play OOP (but it's gonna be tough for sure).

I don't think your reads are concrete, your sample is pretty small on him. Thus, you should be using a balanced 3-betting range and not just use a pure value range.

Nope, we don't have a flatting range in the SB as it's hard to balance and also because having BB left to act behind you is gonna be a pain in the ass.