This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Nl2 Jj 09082013

• SigmaSan
      SigmaSan
      Bronze
      Hi there,

Just started out with lesson one of the No limit beginners course.

Here a hand I wanted to talk about...

IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $4.94 (247 bb)
      SB: $1.54 (77 bb)
      BB: $5.43 (271.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $1.10 (55 bb)
      MP1: $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      MP2: $1.96 (98 bb)
      MP3: $2 (100 bb)
      Hero (CO): $3.59 (179.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with J J
      3 folds, MP3 raises to $0.08, Hero calls $0.08, 2 folds, BB calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.25) T T Q (3 players)
      BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets $0.25, BB calls $0.25, MP3 folds

Turn: ($0.75) 2 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.75) 9 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

Results: $0.75 pot ($0.05 rake)
      Final Board: T T Q 2 9
      BB showed Q T and won $0.70 ($0.37 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$0.33 net)

So Preflop an MP raises in front of me. Since we both (!) have more than 20 times the raised amount I decide to call the raise. The BB calls also.

After the flop TcTsQd comes I am worried that the Jacks are beat but everyone checks in front of me so I decide to protect my hand and bet a pot sized bet. The BB calls. Here I realized that Jacks are indeed beat since he or she has probably hit the board indicating a set or a higher pair and maybe even a full house. I stop thinking and I decide now to check al the way down and if he bets again without me improving, I fold.

We check to showdown and indeed he beat me with a full house T over Q which he slow played.

My Questions:

1) Was it OK to bet the flop with a pot sized bet to protect the hand as a strategy?
      2) In general, should I have tried to bet myself on turn or river (regardless of the fact that in this specific case he had the nuts)?
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Hi

Preflop: the call20 rule is irrelevant here. You have JJ, and you are not only calling to setmine. You also have a ton of showdown/pair value vs unpaired hands.

Flop: You don't need to protection your hand. The only bad cards that could come on the Turn are the K and A. I guess 9 is also kind of bad as it completes some straight draws but I prefer checking here as the board isn't all that wet and JJ isn't too vulnerable.

Besides, if you want to bet, you should be betting on the smaller side. Beting so large ensures that only better hands call you, which defeats the purpose of the bet (gain value from worse)