[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH Zoom - 65s

• TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $10.52 (105.2 bb)
      SB: $20.80 (208 bb)
      Hero (BB): $13.47 (134.7 bb)
      UTG: $15.72 (157.2 bb)
      MP: $5.45 (54.5 bb)
      CO: $12.46 (124.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5 6
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.30, Hero calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.60) 3 7 T (2 players)
      SB bets $0.40, Hero calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) K (2 players)
      SB bets $1, Hero calls $1

River: ($3.40) 9 (2 players)
      SB bets $1.60, Hero raises to $3.90, SB raises to $7.20, Hero raises to $11.77, SB calls $4.57

Villain is 17/13 over 62 hands.

Pre flop I decide to defend in position. I think this should be okay with a hand like this, but would it be better to defend by 3betting here maybe? Or is this fine as well?

As played, I think I should have raised the flop. I have a flush draw with a gutshot, and I should have pretty decent fold equity, as well as position in case he does call. Instead I played it passively on both the flop and turn. I think if I call the flop, it doesn't make much sense to suddenly raise the river with this hand.

I think I played the river pretty badly. I think the initial raise is borderline, but might still be good to get value from sets and straights. I have the worse possible flush (unless he has 42s which I highly doubt) so it's going to be very thin. When he 3bets I'm convinced I should have folded, since I'm pretty much 100% certain that he won't do this with a worse hand than mine.

So, what's best on the flop and turn? And is the river raise fine (provided I actually fold when he 3bets) for thin value, or is it better to just call?
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

This is not a must-defend with this hand but if I want to defend it would be by calling.

I would usually raise flop with so much equity.

As played, turn is good.

On the river I am raise/folding.
      We are going to raise for sure as on these stakes people do have a hard time folding strong hands, but once he 3bets we are rarely ahead.

Best,
      Plamen
    • TJtheTJ
      TJtheTJ
      Bronze
      Thanks Plamen.

I agree with raise/folding the river for sure.

Would you raise/fold the river with anything but the nuts? Or would you try to get it in with a K/Q high flush for example as well?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hey,

With K high Q high flushes I would be willing to stack of as well just because we do overflush him with those as well, but with 6high flush we are usually having a bad time if he happens to 3bet.